50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information on relocation needed please!

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help with my query. My partner and I are seriously considering emigrating to Florida in 2005 or 2006, when I have finished my college degree. However, I have heard that we will not be considered for citizenship if we are not married. We have been together for nine years and have a four year old son, but we have no plans to marry. Will this cause us a problem? Many thanks!

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help with my query. My partner and I are seriously considering emigrating to Florida in 2005 or 2006, when I have finished my college degree. However, I have heard that we will not be considered for citizenship if we are not married. We have been together for nine years and have a four year old son, but we have no plans to marry. Will this cause us a problem? Many thanks!

You did not explain anything about your situation. Which one of you is a U.S. citizen? Are you currently in the States? Where are you immigrating from? Florida as a state is still a U.S. territory, so federal immigration laws apply to you whichever state you choose to live in.
    If one of you is a U.S. citizen, then you have to marry in order for the other spouse to receive a green card and later on to apply for citizenship.

Hi, sorry I didn't make myself more clear! We are currently United Kingdom citizens, where we have always been - neither of us is a U.S. citizen. Thanks!

well if neither of you are citizens then you are in for a hard time unless you have a lot of money or have companies over here willing to sponsor you.........I am a UK citizen residing in the US and it has been a long hard road just to get to where I am now(green card holder).

Thank you for your reply (although it hasn't given me a great deal of hope, is it really that bad?) Would it make a difference or cause problems because we are unmarried? And how long has it taken you to get your GC?

there are about 3 ways to get a GC:
    1. you have a million dollars and will create 10 jobs for the American citizens
    2. Marriage to a U.S. citizen
    3. Employment based GC - you get a H1 visa (work visa) and then your employer sponsors you for permanent residency. I am pretty sure that if you are exceptionally great, then an employer can apply for a green card without you having to work for him on work visa first. Knowing how bad the economy is and seriously limited quotas on employment based GCs, I doubt that you will get it quickly. People wait for years to accomplish that.

Please read www.uscis.gov to see how you can immigrate to the U.S.

Another way (time consuming and it's not guaranteed) to immigrate is to come here on F-1 student visa, finish school here, get a work visa upon completion or before that (if you find a company willing to sponsor you, which is unlikely in this economy, unless you are a genious or otherwise gifted), and then get employment based GC. All this takes years and years, so I would abandon the idea of immigrating to FL in 2005 or 2006. Good luck anyway! Or, of course, there's green card lottery next year. Now that Russia is not eligible for it and countries without internet are out, everybody else has a better chance.

And just for reference, I have been here as a student for 9 years, I am married to a U.S. citizen, due to immigration issues I can't even apply for GC, and when I finally do, I expect to get it in about 2-3 years. See now, how "easy" it is?

Claire I have to agree with what Lucy said in that your chances of relocating here are slim if not impossible. You've picked probably the worst time to start thinking about moving here due to various events not least 911 and the poor economic conditions right now though the later appears to be improving fast.

Lucy,

I hire foreign nationals quite a bit. I think it depends on what line of work people are in as to whether there are any foreign opportunities or not.

I'm curious as to what "immigration issue" is preventing you from adjusting your status, given that you are married to a USC?