50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Tourist want to get married but still married in my country

Hello everyone, I'm been here since October last year and and still a legal alien. During my stay here for the past few months I met a woman who was a USC and we can get along in many things and we both fell in love with each other and she ask me if I want to get married to her but I tell her that I'm still married in my hometown but separated with my wife for 5 years. Is it possible that I can file a divorce here and send it to my wife so I can marry this woman? What are the consequences if I marry this woman without dissolving my first marriage? If you have any information regarding about this I would appreciate that much and thanks for those who will share their experience about this case.

Hello everyone, I'm been here since October last year and and still a legal alien. During my stay here for the past few months I met a woman who was a USC and we can get along in many things and we both fell in love with each other and she ask me if I want to get married to her but I tell her that I'm still married in my hometown but separated with my wife for 5 years. Is it possible that I can file a divorce here and send it to my wife so I can marry this woman? What are the consequences if I marry this woman without dissolving my first marriage? If you have any information regarding about this I would appreciate that much and thanks for those who will share their experience about this case.

First, all depends on state you live in. In NYS and ather states you may file divorce if you are reside in state not less then 2 years. Does not matter if you are Citizen of USA or not. And in your situation seems easy to get divorced based on abandoment (not sharing board and bed for more then one year).You will need lawyer, but it is not long and not coplicated. But your divorce will not be valid for at full till it will be recognised by country you got married in. Most of countries regognise US divorces based on Haag Convence. Later thing will depends on what status in USA your woman has and you.
    Good Luck.

Do not get marry till you will have divorce.
    In most of countries it is against the law.In USA you have to show divorce degree of all of your previous marriages or sightn papers that you never was married before. To lie about it against the law also.
    You may ask nicely your wife also file divorce in your hometown. Sometimes it is easyest way to solve situation you have. Just advice from me as a woman ..don't tell her it is because you want to get marry with other woman..
    Ursula

For you mika, how about here in WA are they going to accept my petition of divorce since I was just stayin here less than 2 years? Am I eligible to file that as of now?

And for you ursula, just want to tell you that there's no divorce in my country and my USC GF want me to stay here for good, so she thinks by getting married my status will be adjusted to LPR and thats why getting some information maybe could help us specially her cause she was a USC.

If you do not tell anybody that you have been ever married, you do not need any divorce. In you country is no divorce? What this mean? Which country is it?

hey..if no one knows you're married....then you can go ahead and get married...but the thing is if your marriage is recognize in your country...you have to remember they will get your background when you apply for adj of status from your country...so they might find out through your records that you were married there....how long were you married??????? good luck...r u sure you love ur usc gfriend????

You are in a legal minefield. Bigamy is not looked at sympathetically by the U.S. government. Go see a good immigration lawyer. It will cost you about $250 for an hour consultation, but it will save you a fortune in legal fees if you make a wrong move.

If your country doesn't recognize divorce then your only option is to file for annullment. You can't marry anybody here in the US if you are still married to your first wife, that's against the law, you know that. Aqua is right, you maybe able to get away with it for a short time but the INS will catch up with you in your background check.

First you have to divorce.
    Work on getting divorce in US,(where divorce law is very resonable, and a lot of people in situation like yours) is nothing to compare to trobles you would have with bigamy later.
    Seems here is no problems for your status, and your wife doesn't not bother you. JUST take your time, put yourself together and get good consulation of expirienced divorce lawyer in your state. Divorces laweyers give free preconsultation usualy. Get two, to have clear situation.
    Good luck.
    Mika