publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Won DV Lotto! Adjust status here or apply for grn card back home?

Supposing a person applied for DV lotto in the USa using their US address and won opportunity to apply for one. Keeping in mind the following thoughts :

it is close to impossible to adjust one's within one year in the USa.

Green card processing in your home country takes on average 5 1/2 months

is it possible for this person to go and complete his/her application for green card at their home country? Would this person have to contact his
    US INS service center to change the green card processing locaion? Or would this person be forced to adjust his status in the USA, using the US address he sent?

Someone please shed some light?

Supposing a person applied for DV lotto in the USa using their US address and won opportunity to apply for one. Keeping in mind the following thoughts :

it is close to impossible to adjust one's within one year in the USa.

Green card processing in your home country takes on average 5 1/2 months

is it possible for this person to go and complete his/her application for green card at their home country? Would this person have to contact his
    US INS service center to change the green card processing locaion? Or would this person be forced to adjust his status in the USA, using the US address he sent?

Someone please shed some light?

A few years ago, INS failed to complete processing of a number of lottery winners within the required time. Through no fault of the individuals, who were present in the U.S. they were refused their green cards and there was no legal remedy - even though the INS admitted fault.

I think INS took a lot of criticism from Congress over this and if you are a genuine winner, (meet all the rules etc.) you should be OK. But there is no guarantee.

When I won a place in the lottery in 1998, I had filed with my Australian address, but was actually in the U.S. at the time. I returned to Australia for the processing.

Notification was in October, visa was issued in April the following year. There is six months in which you have to enter the U.S. after that.