50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Processing Time? GREEN CARD related questions? PLEASE HELP!!

Hello,

My wife and I RECENTLY filed for I-130 after dating for 3 yrs or so. I am not a US citizen while she is. My question is HOW long does it take to get the Green card OR how long before I get the proper paper work so maybe I can visit my family overseas? Also, I came in as a student F1 but been out of status few years. Does this mean I CAN NOT leave US until I get my Green card. EVEN with ADVANCED PAROLE? Also, is there a temporary green card and permanet? What is the difference and processing times?

Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance.

Hello,

My wife and I RECENTLY filed for I-130 after dating for 3 yrs or so. I am not a US citizen while she is. My question is HOW long does it take to get the Green card OR how long before I get the proper paper work so maybe I can visit my family overseas? Also, I came in as a student F1 but been out of status few years. Does this mean I CAN NOT leave US until I get my Green card. EVEN with ADVANCED PAROLE? Also, is there a temporary green card and permanet? What is the difference and processing times?

Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance.

As you filed for I-130 and have you applied for I-485? As you got married with US citizen and you will get conditional green card first. And you wouldn't be able to apply for Travel Authorization cuz you are not in status right now. After getting conditional greencard then you will get the permanet green card within a year. If you get married then they give conditional and then permanent green card. When you will get the conditional green card they will gave a seal on your passport that will authorized you to travel and work you in US legally. Have you applied for work authorization?

Rajput,

I just got a lawyer and he asked me to fill out I130 not sure about 485 but I have provided him with copies of all the neccessary documents such as Passports, visas, marriage certificate etc. So have NO clue honestly on the 485. How long does it take to get the CONDITIONAL GC? Is that AFTER the INS interview or BEFORE? How long for the permanent Green card?

Once again thank you.

According to my knowledge you have to have apply I-485. Cuz I-130 is for changeing your status but I-485 is for your main green card process. It takes about 12/14 months to get the first call for your conditional interview. after getting the conditional interview then within a yr you will get call for permanent interview. To apply i-485 you need to submit your passport copy, visa copy, your birth certificate, your wife's birth certificate, your wife's driver's lisence with I-485.
    Then INS will ask you for I-864. Which is for your sponsorship papers. you have to submit last three yrs tax returns papers and W-2 forms of your wife. Current job letter from the employer and bank statement.
    try to get all the papers into both name...like your apartment lease paper, bank account, electric bills, phone bills, credit card bills into join name.

What is the initial interview? I mean I thought there was only one main interview involved with INS? There are TWO interviews? How long before the passport gets stamped so I can travel?

Thanks

Its gonna take like 12/14 months for your first interview for conditional green card.

If someone can clear this up for me, so there are TWO interview one for conditional GC and one for permanent? Are the interviews the same?

Also, how long does it take to get the work authorization and passport stamped so I can travel? Considering I am working now but without papers it is recommended that I stop working until I have my papers in order? Thanks a bunch.

first of all, you apply for green card, and then you apply for work permit, then you will have to wait 12 to 14 months to be called for the interview to make sure that you are marrige is serious and not for GC only.
    After 2 years exact of the first interview, you will be either called for the 2nd interview or just you will send them proves that you are still married, like joint accounts of "bank,car & health insurance, mortgage or rent, cars, retirement plans, etc..." things that prove you are married in good faith.

Traveling overseas: The only way you can travel overseas is , if you have an emergency, like family sick. you can then apply for a permet to travel which took me at the time 2 or 3 days with up to 6 months with few entries. if you don't have the permet, then you won't be able to get back in. I hopoe this helps.

Thanks for your reply. In my situation, since I came in as a student and been out of status several years, I guess I can't get a travel permit? Also, i have heard if your I-94 has DS (Duration of Stay) stamped on it then "TECHNICALLY" you are NOT out of status. Something i read and heard from diff. immigration folks.

All, thanks for your feed back so far. It helps a LOT.