50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marriage ...change of status?

Hi, I am Canadian and currently in good standing with H1 Visa. It expires in 1yr and 5mths. I have met someone (USC)and am now engaged and will probably be married in about a year around the same time my H1 will be up for renewal. 1)should I renew my H1 and then worry about changing status later. 2) should I just go ahead and start change of status once I am married? 3) Can I still work during the change of status 4) Can I leave the country? 5) Can I renew and apply for change of status at the same time 6)what are the time lines for both? 7)how much does all this cost

I really apprecaite all the help someone can give me!
    Thanks

Hi, I am Canadian and currently in good standing with H1 Visa. It expires in 1yr and 5mths. I have met someone (USC)and am now engaged and will probably be married in about a year around the same time my H1 will be up for renewal. 1)should I renew my H1 and then worry about changing status later. 2) should I just go ahead and start change of status once I am married? 3) Can I still work during the change of status 4) Can I leave the country? 5) Can I renew and apply for change of status at the same time 6)what are the time lines for both? 7)how much does all this cost

I really apprecaite all the help someone can give me!
    Thanks

I was in a very similar situation.
    I was on an H1 that was valid till 30th march 2002 and got married to my fiance in Jan 2002.My laywer said I was safe as long as I filled for change of status on or before the 30 th of march and during the time it took to get my EAD(that is past march 30th) i could continue working for the same employer.But what I could not do was change employers before reciving my EAD.

My answers to ur questions

1) If you plan to get married before ur H1 runs out,then its a waste of money to renew ur H1.

2)Yes start the change of status ASAP.

3)Yes u can but for the same company that held ur H1.

4)I do not think so if ur H1 is over and you do not have you travel parole in hand

5)Not sure you might have to ask an immigration laywer about this.(I think its a waste of money and redundant)

6)The following link has time lines depending on the centre you use.

http://www.immigration.com/processing-times/

7)For the GC process it depends on the lawyer you use.Around $2500 for this type of case.Some lawyers have monthly payment options too.I found mine using this( ILW) website.

Best of Luck.

I appreciate the help ...coffee I just have one other question ....were you able to leave the country while you were waiting for the EAD!
    Thanks

Whether I would have been able to I dont know,but I did not plan to when I was having a status change .Anyways you get your travel parole even before the EAD.My travel parole arrived in 2 weeks from the date I filed (I could travel then) and the EAD in 45 days.But this was my experience, so you might want to verify with the INS or a lawyer whether you could travel during that period.

Sorry Coffee....now are you a canadian and did you have the actual ceremony in the US or in Canada? I am wondering about marriage certificates and what would happen down the road if we wanted to move to Canada! We may get married in Canada!
    Does anyone else know?
    Thanks

If you have your EAD with you before your H-1B expires, you are going to be fine.

You need to plan for filing your AOS and get your EAD or go with H-1B extension.

You may find the following links helpful:

http://www.isso.cornell.edu/immigration/marryusc.html
    http://www.visapro.com/Green-Card-Fa...US-Citizen.asp

http://www.visapro.com/H1B-Visa/H1B-Visa.asp

Paul @ HelpDesk

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help!