50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for a LIFE/LULAC (AZ, MOHAN, Anybody else)

Thanks AZ for your very valuable info on LULAC registration. I have a problem i am trying to find a solution. May be you or anybody else offer me some help here. I applied for LIFE/LULAC few months ago and i have done fingerprint, picture already. I received a letter 3 months ago from INS saying that they sent my file to local INS office and they will contact me soon. BUT one month after that due to an emergency i had to leave USA for Canada without applying for parole(i am a canadian citizen but applied as citizen of my birth place) . Now my country has been recently listed for special registration. If i try to go back to USA, i am sure i have to register at the border. When i do that i am sure they will find out about my LIFE/LULAC pending application. I am not sure what to do at this point! I know someone can apply for LULAC from outside USA. In my case since i already applied from usa, can i ask ins to transfer my file to CANADA? If not, can i apply for parole from CANADA? OR is there any other option for me? PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks AZ for your very valuable info on LULAC registration. I have a problem i am trying to find a solution. May be you or anybody else offer me some help here. I applied for LIFE/LULAC few months ago and i have done fingerprint, picture already. I received a letter 3 months ago from INS saying that they sent my file to local INS office and they will contact me soon. BUT one month after that due to an emergency i had to leave USA for Canada without applying for parole(i am a canadian citizen but applied as citizen of my birth place) . Now my country has been recently listed for special registration. If i try to go back to USA, i am sure i have to register at the border. When i do that i am sure they will find out about my LIFE/LULAC pending application. I am not sure what to do at this point! I know someone can apply for LULAC from outside USA. In my case since i already applied from usa, can i ask ins to transfer my file to CANADA? If not, can i apply for parole from CANADA? OR is there any other option for me? PLEASE HELP!!!

Farid:

When did you become a Canadian citizen? Did you mention that in your I-485 application. They ask you some where about the last entry in U.S.? what did you put there, basically I'm trying to find out from you if you disclosed to the INS your absence from the U.S while you were in Canada.

Thanks AZ for replying.

I became Canadian just recently after i applied for LIFE. No i did not mention that in I-485. My last entry i mentioned in I-485 was in apr'82 as F-1. But i orginally came to usa in '80 as a visitor and overstayed until 3/82 then got i-20
    from a university came back in 1 month as a student and did not leave USA until 1997. I got canadian resident 1997 and travel back & forth to canada few times after that.

To Farid:
    You have really messed up yourself. After fingerprints they can find out your Canandian Citizenship. Since you are a Canadian Citizen now, so you are not supposed to register. You can come to U.S.A. any time on your Canandian Passport. It would be better for you to arrive here before new Visa policy will start.
    It would be better for you to keep your Canadian Citizenship and try to get GC through employment etc. and abondon this lulac/css case.
    Good luck.

Umesh, with all due respect---I beg to differ with you.

I know it's a messed up situation but I don't believe that INS has a way to find out if Farid has become a citizen of Canada unless he tells them. Secondly, Even though he is a Canadian citizen, if he is a native of a contry whose citizens are required to register, he will have to register regardless of his Canadian citizenship.

My advise to you Farid is that you should consult with an attorney regardinhg your situation. I'm trying to think what else can be done and the only other way I can think of is that you can enter the U.S on your Canadian Passport and hope that the immigration officer doesn't notice your country of birth on your passport and let you in without registration. In that case, you can go to INS and register with your native country passport. If you are registered at the port of entry, you can file a waiver and let INS know about Canadian citizenship and absence form the U.S. The LIFE Legalization says that you were to remain in this country illegaly between 1981-1988. If you left country in 1997, it should not make any difference.

This is a very interesting situation and if any one has any other ideas, please post.
    Best Wishes.

hey farid did you by any chance came from Saudi arabia ? to canada ?

To AZ:
    With due respects, I would like to point out that the requirement for Registration is Citizens and Nationals of certain countries and not natives. Since Farid is now a Canadian Citizen, he is not required to register.
    Fingerprint database of both countries is linked and they do a routine check, as to criminal history in both countries.
    Farid has messed up himself because he tried to play smart with the INS, but unknowingly commited a Immigration fraud, which can be problemitic to him.
    If he will abondon this petition, then he will still have a chance to adjust status through some other means, like employment etc.
    No heart feelings my friend. We both are trying to help people in our own ways.
    Good luck.

To Umesh:

Please read the last heading on page 2 titled "What if I have dual citizenship". Let me know if you still think othrwise.

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/lawenfor...ALL_IN_ALL.pdf

Thanks both of you for addressing my issue here.
    I did not mean to create a debate between you but it is good to clear out the issue of whether a nataralized canadian (born in listed countries) should register. What i know is, at the begining before the special registration starts when US asked canadian citizen of 5 countries (iran, irac,n. korea.....) must register AT THE CANADIAN BORDER, Canadian govt protested that and i think it was removed later. Now after special registration announcement i'm sure.