50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I/someone post an admission bond? (does is exist?)

I am canadian and have been refused entry to the US twice now. Basically, they think I will not return to Canada, which is not the case. I cannot prove residence in Canada because I live with my parents and work for the family business. That doesn't count. Anyway, I really need to get the US and was wondering if there is some sort of bond I or someone else could post to prove I will be back to canada. I know they want some sort of financial obligation to come back. Thanks for the info and help.

I am canadian and have been refused entry to the US twice now. Basically, they think I will not return to Canada, which is not the case. I cannot prove residence in Canada because I live with my parents and work for the family business. That doesn't count. Anyway, I really need to get the US and was wondering if there is some sort of bond I or someone else could post to prove I will be back to canada. I know they want some sort of financial obligation to come back. Thanks for the info and help.

Can I ask why you really "need" to come to the US?

I have to get to the US mostly for financial reasons. I need to get rid of an apartment I can't afford for anymore and get all my stuff. The reason I have to go now is school starts in sept. and I won't have enough time after that. If I could just pay for the apt I wouldn't care about waiting. I also have to be there in person to close my bank accounts.

sounds like you have been living (and probably working) in the US already - how many "tourists" need a bank account and an apartment in the US for "short visits." Why do I think you have overstayed at least once or had several consecutive 80-90 day "visits" during the last several months or years?
    Basically it boils down to whether INS will admit you and it sounds like they are not going to because of previous actions on your part. You would probably have to apply for and qualify for a visa - which will not be easy nor any guarantee that you would be admitted next time.
    As is so often the case, you have not shared the entire "real" story on this site and therefore an accurate reply from anyone will be difficult. Let's hear the whole, true story.......

Yes I have been in the US for about 3 years on and off but I was legal. I was there for school for 2 years on I-20's and then I did the OPT thing for 3 months. That is why I have bank accounts and apt. I thought I was going to get sponsored by my employer but that did not happen. I never overstayed anytime I was there. I even waited in Canada for 4 months for my ead because I was told I could not go back if I went home from xmas until it was approved. I want to do everything legally. Don't be so quick to assume things.

Bank accounts owned by non resident foreigners are VERY common in the USA. The amount of foreign money deposited in the USA is enormous.

If people were refused entry because they had bank accounts in the USA, hundreds of thousands of visitors would be turned away.

If you do a lot of foreign trade,and live in a country with a so-so banking system, it even becomes a necessity.

to Guest: many people applying for visas often point to a bank account in their country as "proof" of their intent to return to country (x).
    While there is certainly legitimate reasons for students to maintain a bank account in the US, the same cannot be said for tourists. If someone opens a bank account in the US, as a tourist, by the same argument often used when applying for visas (hey, I have a bank account, of course I'll go back to country (x) after 3 weeks) can be used against the alien arriving as a tourist...which country are they supposed to have a residence that they do not intend to abandon?
    INS's reluctance to admit Jen under the VWP says that there is something going on else why not allow entry? If Jen has been a bona fide student and maintained status under the OPT, then there should not be difficulty re-entering the US under the VWP....

Hi Anon:
    Think you got me wrong, I did not mean "using a bank acc. in USA to get VISA", but instead, "being refused admission because you have an account in USA".
    You are right in saying that they won't give you a visa because you have an account in the USA, but they won't refuse entry because you have one. As I indicated in my previous post, there are hundreds of thousands of non resident foreigners who have bank accounts in the USA, reasons? many!
    Canadians do not enter under VWP, but under a differente law, as tourists they can stay up to 180 days, until recently, Canadians were basically waved trough at border crossings, now it seems things have changed, more than one Canadian has been in this forum indicating he was stopped and not allowed in.
    Being so similar in many respects (including standard of living), it would be nice if the USA and Canada had an agreement similar what they have in the EU (i.e. a German can go to Finland with basically no red tape involved, except learning Finish, which is probably harder that any red tape (-: )

PS
    Many wealthy Latin Americans, also have apartments in Miami for their short visits, they are not refused entry because of that either.

I'm guessing the "real" reason they won't let me in is becuase my ex bf is there and it's a recent break up. The officer read my journal, saw all my thoughts, no one acts on every thought and journals shouldn't be held true. and it's all probably in my file. The other reason is the residence thing(living with parents and working for family business)It's just not really fair because I am doing everything legal and have no intent of staying in the US illegally or staying forever(which would be illegal anyway).
    the moral is, never take your journal across the border.