Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-immigration hysteria tied to the private prison industry

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/mob...n-industry-1.1572422

Anti-immigration hysteria tied to the private prison industry

By Nyles Kendall

Published: Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The now-infamous “show me your papers” law which requires Arizona law enforcement to check the legal status of anyone “reasonably suspected” of being undocumented has brought illegal immigration to the forefront of American politics.

S.B. 1070’s incessant media coverage and the grossly overstated urgency for immigration reform would lead many to believe Mexican drug cartels were on the verge of overthrowing the government and illegal aliens were running rampant through the streets.

But data collected by the Pew Hispanic Center and the Department of Homeland Security indicate that apprehensions of illegal crossings have dropped by nearly 70 percent since 2000.

Still, despite the overwhelming evidence indicating otherwise, prominent Arizona politicians have continued to insist that illegal immigrants are pouring into the country in droves, responsible for headless bodies in the desert and “terror babies” intent on destroying our way of life.

Why is it that as illegal immigration becomes less of a national security threat, anti-immigration sentiment has ratcheted up?

It is because those who have politically profited off the issue of illegal immigration by stoking fear are the beneficiaries of more than just electoral capital.

Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed S.B. 1070 into law, and the legislation’s principal architect, Russell Pearce, both have extensive financial ties to the private prison industry powerhouse Corrections Corporation of America, a company which stands to profit in the sum of millions if Arizona’s “papers please” legislation is enacted.

CCA, one of the leading providers of detention and correction services in the country, holds the contract to imprison all federal detainees in the state of Arizona. S.B. 1070 would lead to more arrests on federal immigration charges, causing money to pour into the gargantuan coffers of the private prison industry and directly into the bank accounts of those who are financially tied to it.

Republican state senator Pearce submitted a draft version of S.B. 1070 to the American Legislative Exchange Council for revision months before the bill was introduced to the floor of the Arizona Senate. Pearce is one of 35 Arizona legislators who belong to this organization.

Two years prior, ALEC was the recipient of millions of dollars in contributions from CCA and Geo Group, two of the largest private prison companies in the state.

Pearce’s financial records also indicate that the political action committees funded by both CCA and Geo Group have donated the maximum amount allowable to his campaign.

Gov. Jan Brewer’s deputy chief of staff, Paul Senseman, is a former CCA lobbyist. His wife Kathryn Senseman currently lobbies the state legislature on behalf of the company.

Still more ****ing is the fact that the governor’s leading policy advisor, J. Charles “Chuck” Coughlin, is the president of Highground Consulting, the lobbying firm which represents CCA’s interests in Arizona.

CCA also contributed a total of $10,000 dollars to the Prop 100 campaign earlier this year, an initiative, along with S.B. 1070, which set the stage for Brewer’s reelection bid.

Phoenix CBS affiliate KPHO was among the first to report on this glaring conflict of interest. In retaliation, the Brewer campaign pulled ll advertisements from the network.

Investigation into this controversy obviously does nothing to further the governor’s political ambitions, but how does pulling your campaign advertising off a CBS affiliate in the largest city in the state help your chances of being reelected?

The financial ties between S.B. 1070’s loudest proponents and the largest private prison companies in the state are no coincidence. S.B. 1070 and anti-immigrant hysteria are nothing more than mechanisms for funneling money into the private prison industry and into the pockets of the very same politicians who craft immigration legislation.

— Nyles Kendall is a political science junior. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.
    http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/mob...n-industry-1.1572422

Anti-immigration hysteria tied to the private prison industry

By Nyles Kendall

Published: Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The now-infamous “show me your papers” law which requires Arizona law enforcement to check the legal status of anyone “reasonably suspected” of being undocumented has brought illegal immigration to the forefront of American politics.

S.B. 1070’s incessant media coverage and the grossly overstated urgency for immigration reform would lead many to believe Mexican drug cartels were on the verge of overthrowing the government and illegal aliens were running rampant through the streets.

But data collected by the Pew Hispanic Center and the Department of Homeland Security indicate that apprehensions of illegal crossings have dropped by nearly 70 percent since 2000.

Still, despite the overwhelming evidence indicating otherwise, prominent Arizona politicians have continued to insist that illegal immigrants are pouring into the country in droves, responsible for headless bodies in the desert and “terror babies” intent on destroying our way of life.

Why is it that as illegal immigration becomes less of a national security threat, anti-immigration sentiment has ratcheted up?

It is because those who have politically profited off the issue of illegal immigration by stoking fear are the beneficiaries of more than just electoral capital.

Gov. Jan Brewer, who signed S.B. 1070 into law, and the legislation’s principal architect, Russell Pearce, both have extensive financial ties to the private prison industry powerhouse Corrections Corporation of America, a company which stands to profit in the sum of millions if Arizona’s “papers please” legislation is enacted.

CCA, one of the leading providers of detention and correction services in the country, holds the contract to imprison all federal detainees in the state of Arizona. S.B. 1070 would lead to more arrests on federal immigration charges, causing money to pour into the gargantuan coffers of the private prison industry and directly into the bank accounts of those who are financially tied to it.

Republican state senator Pearce submitted a draft version of S.B. 1070 to the American Legislative Exchange Council for revision months before the bill was introduced to the floor of the Arizona Senate. Pearce is one of 35 Arizona legislators who belong to this organization.

Two years prior, ALEC was the recipient of millions of dollars in contributions from CCA and Geo Group, two of the largest private prison companies in the state.

Pearce’s financial records also indicate that the political action committees funded by both CCA and Geo Group have donated the maximum amount allowable to his campaign.

Gov. Jan Brewer’s deputy chief of staff, Paul Senseman, is a former CCA lobbyist. His wife Kathryn Senseman currently lobbies the state legislature on behalf of the company.

Still more ****ing is the fact that the governor’s leading policy advisor, J. Charles “Chuck” Coughlin, is the president of Highground Consulting, the lobbying firm which represents CCA’s interests in Arizona.

CCA also contributed a total of $10,000 dollars to the Prop 100 campaign earlier this year, an initiative, along with S.B. 1070, which set the stage for Brewer’s reelection bid.

Phoenix CBS affiliate KPHO was among the first to report on this glaring conflict of interest. In retaliation, the Brewer campaign pulled ll advertisements from the network.

Investigation into this controversy obviously does nothing to further the governor’s political ambitions, but how does pulling your campaign advertising off a CBS affiliate in the largest city in the state help your chances of being reelected?

The financial ties between S.B. 1070’s loudest proponents and the largest private prison companies in the state are no coincidence. S.B. 1070 and anti-immigrant hysteria are nothing more than mechanisms for funneling money into the private prison industry and into the pockets of the very same politicians who craft immigration legislation.

— Nyles Kendall is a political science junior. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

Nice find OldE
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

I think i hit the nail on the head with this one.

This is more like conspiracy to shut down all body shops and declare any collision repair an act of crime and then go out looking for cars with any sort of dent on it to get it impounded and sold off the auction to fill some greedy pockets.

And unlike the above analogy, this is not some scrap metal or financial loss we are talking about, this is about PUTTING MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF PEOPLE IN PRISON FOR A BLATANTLY OBVIOUS REASON OF FILLING ONE'S POCKET!

Tsk-tsk-tsk, davdah, are you also in some way associated with people who fill their wallets if i get sent to prison for mere appearance as an illegal alien and lack of papers in my pocket?

Leftards are conspiracy nuts. Brit and Olde probably think 9/11 was an inside job. They just want to defend Al Queda and terrorists because they hate America and love Muslim terrorist illegal aliens.

The OP is not a conspiracy theory, you moron, those are the verifiable facts !

But then how would the moron know the difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tsk-tsk-tsk, davdah, are you also in some way associated with people who fill their wallets if i get sent to prison for mere appearance as an illegal alien and lack of papers in my pocket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must know this by now OldE, davdah will always side with any business that makes money. He is easily bought.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brit4064:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tsk-tsk-tsk, davdah, are you also in some way associated with people who fill their wallets if i get sent to prison for mere appearance as an illegal alien and lack of papers in my pocket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must know this by now OldE, davdah will always side with any business that makes money. He is easily bought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must love it when davdah starts telling you of how important it is to have faith in Jesus Christ while he will support without a blink a bill that will ship you to prison for mere appearance of being an illegal and lack of piece of paper in your pocket, as long as davdah or his buddies gets some dough out it.

If our positions were reversed, with everything else remaining the same (and i must admit i do love money a lot, probably no less than davdah), i couldn't eat the bread that i bought with money earned through shipping his a.ss to prison.

And i am not one who has faith in Jesus and calls those who don't heathens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
    You two (sorta) are quick to pass judgement on less than imagination. More so than the people you berate even. Point two, hypocrites. Wanna try for strike three? I'm all for a no-hitter.

Brit, always the sidekick. Entertain an original thought once in a while instead of lapping at another's shoe laces. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leave sorta(two) wisecracks aside and explain what is hypocritical about stating following facts:

1. davdah claims to have faith in Jesus Christ and calls you a heathen if you don't.

2. davdah supports SB 1070

3. There are undeniable facts that SB 1070 is a product of lobbying of private prison company that will get filthy rich if allowed to imprison millions upon millions upon millions of people who "look like illegal immigrants".

And who is a hypocrit now?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
    Point three is an invalid argument already exposed for what it is so no need to rehash.

Davdah supports this country over Mexico.

Heathen, an unconverted individual of a people that do not acknowledge the god of the Bible; a person who is neither a Jew, Christian, nor Muslim; pagan.

A text book definition I see nothing wrong with.

Bing bang boom...you're outta here! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Argument is not made invalid by davdahs' mere saying so.

The facts are glaring and undeniable.

You can't claim to have faith in Jesus Christ and support a bill that is designed to make filthy rich people who will house arestees on mere suspicion of being illegals.
    If you do you are a hypocrit, plain and simple.
    Can't deny that no matter what you type here.

Has nothing to do with supporting this country over Mexico.