free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Question about Citizenship Application

Hi,
    I would like to apply for a US citizenship (have been married for almost 3.5 years) and am allowed to apply. However, the future of my relationship with my husband is unclear, we're going through a rough patch and it seems pretty serious....but who knows? Does that matter for the US Citizenship application? Do they ask about that?

Hi,
    I would like to apply for a US citizenship (have been married for almost 3.5 years) and am allowed to apply. However, the future of my relationship with my husband is unclear, we're going through a rough patch and it seems pretty serious....but who knows? Does that matter for the US Citizenship application? Do they ask about that?

Hello and welcome czGal,

How long have you had your permanent residence card? You can apply for citizenship (through marriage) 2 years, 9 months after receipt of the green card. Since you are qualifying for naturalization at the 3 year mark by being married to a USC, it does matter regarding the state of your marriage. If you think a divorce is on the horizon, it might be best to put off the application until 4 years, 9 months after receipt of the green card which will be the next qualifying timeframe for you, should a divorce occur. Good luck.

You should be married at the time of oath.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tak:
    You should be married at the time of oath. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, agreed.

Wrong. So long as your marriage was honestly entered into, then you can divorce without fear of deportation and you can apply for naturalization. That does not mean that you won't face some investigation and questioning about your marriage and its termination in the naturalization process.

If you're going for naturalization under the 3 year rule, you do need to be married to the sponsoring spouse right up to the Oath Ceremony. We just had another poster here who was denied because he'd divorced.

If you're going for the 5 year application, it doesn't matter one bit if you're still married.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate your help.

Have a great year 2010!