50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: i130 & i485 for parents

i'm american citizen.my parents are here in USA with a 5 months turistic visa.i want to applay for them for the green card . I live in Florida i will applay to TEXAS center.
    PLease tell me how long will take for i485 in this case. how long until they will receive the green card.thank you please i need a real answer not just opinions.

i'm american citizen.my parents are here in USA with a 5 months turistic visa.i want to applay for them for the green card . I live in Florida i will applay to TEXAS center.
    PLease tell me how long will take for i485 in this case. how long until they will receive the green card.thank you please i need a real answer not just opinions.

You canNOT apply for adjustment of status (I-485) for your parents, since they are in the U.S. only as tourists. In fact, when their status is over, they need to go back. You can file the I-130 petition on their behalf, however (one petition for each parent). Once the petitions are approved, you will receive information on how your parents can apply for an immigrant visa at the U.S. consulate in their country of origin. They will have to submit police clearances and go through a medical examination and an interview. You will have to provide documentation proving your U.S. citizenship as well as financial documentation to ensure that your parents will not become "public charges" (that is, they will not request food stamps, welfare, etc.). The time is at least 1 year. You can go to www.uscis.gov and check out how long the Texas Service Center takes to process I-130s for Immediate Relatives (that is, parents/spouses of US citizens).

from what i read to uscis web page i understand somethink else:

if you are already in the United States, you may apply to adjust to permanent resident status after a visa number becomes available for you. (If you are outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available for you, you must then go to your local U.S. consulate to complete your processing.)

and to continue

The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, which includes parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available once the application filed for them is approved by the USCIS. An immigrant visa number will be immediately available for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens.

i read alll this in this web page:
    http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/immvisa.htm

Yes, but your parents' current status, as visitors, does not allow them to adjust to permanent residents. As tourists, they are supposed to be in the U.S. for a temporary visit. It is a condition of their tourist status that they return to their country of origin. Hence, you first would have to file the I-130 petitions on their behalfs, then, once the I-130s are approved, you will be notified on how to proceed. This means that your parents will go for an interview at the local U.S. consulate.

In fact, the USCIS website clearly states "First, the USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition that you file for your parent. Second, if your parent is outside the United States, your parent will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa."