free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am determined to become a US citizen for my security

AFTER SEPT 11, I AM MORE DETERMINED TO BECOME A US CITIZEN FOR MY SECURITY.

Speak your mind on this topic by clicking on 'Post reply' below.

AFTER SEPT 11, I AM MORE DETERMINED TO BECOME A US CITIZEN FOR MY SECURITY.

Speak your mind on this topic by clicking on 'Post reply' below.

I always intended to become a US citizen. But the existing circumstances of US becoming a Police state and fewer rights for immigrants, definitely makes me want to become a citizen ASAP.

More determined to become a USC yes but also more worried: I travelled to Cuba via the Bahamas several years ago as a Legal Permanent Resident and was severely lectured upon my reentry into the US about "trading with the ennemy" (for buying a small painting from a woman on the street in Havannna which was promptly destroyed by the US customs officials in a tremendous show of intellectual and democratic superiority) and upon subsequent trips was given secondary inspections every time I returned to the Us from abroad. The Naturalization application asks to indicate which countries were visited since obtaining my greencard and I am worried that putting Cuba down will somehow cause me serious problems. Perhaps I better wait until relations with Cuba improve a little.....

Yes

Oh, yes! I'm sooo tired of dealing with INS, paying endless fees and drowning in papework - I will become a sitizen just to get them off my back!

yes, I live here so should be one
    fear that restrictions will become tighter in future
    want to able to stay forever, with my family
    want to vote
    pay taxes now without representation
    inheritance tax burden for non citizen
    it seems that legal resident aliens have no rights yet pay taxes and are looked down upon by all
    I shall feel more secure in knowing that I have citizenship

Since 9/11 I actually feel less desire to become a US citizen. As far as I know, the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, so becoming a US citizen would mean, I would have to give up my German citizenship. That would make me feel completely unprotected.

With all that has been going on in this country since 9/11 immigrant detentions without public record of their names or locations, without charges or access to attorneys, torture being discussed in the media as an option to extract "information" from suspected terrorists etc. etc. I doubt that the US authorities would hesitate to take citizenship away from a foreign born citizen, if it would be convenient or if public emotions run high. And then? You're a citizen of nowhere?

Granted, being a blond, blue-eyed German woman, I don't fit the profile du jour of a terrorist suspect, so I don't have much to fear. And anyhow, if you're "innocent", why would you care? Because basic principles, like the right not to be held indefinitely without charges, were not put in place to protect the guilty but the innocent. There is something wrong if the leaders of a country react to a crisis by abandoning principles designed to protect innocent people - in times when more people than usually are likely to need these protections. Why should citizenship stop people like that?

Unless a crazy German woman would decide to blow something up, I'm probably safe, but I'm sure some innocent detained male middle eastern men didn't thought either, that they would become terrorist suspects all of a sudden. What I try to say with all my rambling here is: since 9/11 I came to realize how vulnerable you are, if you're foreign born. I wouldn't feel any safer with US citizenship.

So therefore there is no way I'm going to give up my German citizenship until I gain some trust again in the leadership of this country. At least this way I can always go back to Germany. The weather is worse than in Florida, but the beer is a lot better...

I am totally agree with Sue that US is becomming a police state. And, INS is becomming a pain for families who want to stay together.

It seems INS does not care at all regarding families bond.

As an Australian, it's a 50/50 call.
    I would like to become a U.S. citizen from what I know, I have never lived in U.S. though, I do agree with background checks of aliens and refugees. I think that the governments of countries like U.S. and Australia have a duty to maintain the internal security for exsisting citizens before making allowances for aliens. If I am refused I am sure to be annoyed, but that,s how it is!