free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marriage to an older us citizen

i am an international student. a couple of months before i even knew i was coming to study in the us. i met this guy on the internet. We began chatting and talking on the phone everyday. He turned out to be much more (about 50 years>) older than i was. When i arrived in the US, we met and we've talked to each other for everyday for the past (almost)year. i go to school in another state but do go to see him quite often and live with him during the summer. Basically we feel very comfortable with each other and are also great friends. He needs someone and i need a family. I am really tired with all the immigration and INS complications concerning working and instate tuition. I don't like the college i'm attending and i want to enroll at another school. I have a very high GPA, but I can't get a scholarship, pay instate fees nor work as an international student. If we get married, will the INS accept our marriage and grant me a green card taking into consideration our great age differences? Or should we remain married for a year before applying to show that we are serious. What can I do or should I do?
    Will I have to change my name? I really don't feel confident telling my parents yet.
    Does the INS do rigid house checks on newly married american-foreigner couples who try to apply for a green card? What if we don't live together all year? What are the other requirements?
    Can they deny you a green card even though you are married?
    Can the INS deport you for that?

Please help. I appreciate your advise. thanks

i am an international student. a couple of months before i even knew i was coming to study in the us. i met this guy on the internet. We began chatting and talking on the phone everyday. He turned out to be much more (about 50 years&gt older than i was. When i arrived in the US, we met and we've talked to each other for everyday for the past (almost)year. i go to school in another state but do go to see him quite often and live with him during the summer. Basically we feel very comfortable with each other and are also great friends. He needs someone and i need a family. I am really tired with all the immigration and INS complications concerning working and instate tuition. I don't like the college i'm attending and i want to enroll at another school. I have a very high GPA, but I can't get a scholarship, pay instate fees nor work as an international student. If we get married, will the INS accept our marriage and grant me a green card taking into consideration our great age differences? Or should we remain married for a year before applying to show that we are serious. What can I do or should I do?
    Will I have to change my name? I really don't feel confident telling my parents yet.
    Does the INS do rigid house checks on newly married american-foreigner couples who try to apply for a green card? What if we don't live together all year? What are the other requirements?
    Can they deny you a green card even though you are married?
    Can the INS deport you for that?

Please help. I appreciate your advise. thanks

Your marriage will be investigated, yes, and because of the age difference get ready, because they will want to make sure it is not a marriage of convenience. Not all women change their names, either, so that is your personal choice. But what you have got to do is visit an immigration attorney to cover all your bases before you get married. I wish you luck!

I've a freind of mine who is already in that
    kind of proof of their marriage with INS for about 6 (six ) years, no GC yet, no nothink,
    so take all advices before U go
    Good luck

thanks guys for your reply.

guest: Where can find an immigration attorney and what am i supposed to tell him?
    Do you think that it is a realistic idea when we don't live together

From what I've read I have the tendencie to believe that this marriage is more out of convenience (to obtain permanent residency) than out of love. But I might be mistaken here.

We are talking about marriagefraud if this is the case. This is a serious, deportable, offence with criminal penalties.

If you do get married you should live togheter as INS will find this extremely suspicious when you don't live togheter and they are likely to deny you.

INS may do housevisits but they are not the normal standard.
    Other requirements might be joint bankaccounts, leases, mortgages, loans, etc. Basically evrything that proves you are truly living togheter amd have a bonafida marriage.

INS can ALWAYS deny GC no matter what.

I am not a lawyer and I do make mistakes although not deliberately. Please double-check any information given by me or anyone else for that matter with a certified lawyer before you take any further steps.

thank you xandtrick.

that's a very important thought you gave me.

What if we get married now, but wait till i graduate from undergraduate school and can move off campus to live with him (that's in about 3 years) to apply for the GC?
    Will that be alright? Even though he's 50 years older than i am?

thanks.

If you get married you would have to report your change of status to the INS as you are on a visa.

But you just gave me information that you live on campus and that is a good (enough) reason for the INS that you cannot live togheter for the time being. Although I still advise to move in with eachother.

Why do you have to wait 3 nore years? Distance? Campuspolicy that you have to stay on campus during the year?

There is no timelimit when you have to apply for AOS but it is advised to do so before your current visa expires.

It will raise some eyebrows about the agedifference but this cannot be a reason for denial.
    In short, if your marriage is bonafida you should have nothing to worry about.

Thanks again for your reply xandtrick.

I have to live on campus because i have a full scholarship at this college and it is not in the same state where he is.

could you please elaborate on having to inform the ins of my change of status? does that mean that i would have to inform them of my marriage?

another question is that we really have no need for joint accounts, loans, mortgages or other similar things. So how do i go about proving my marriage even when i move in with him?

thank you so much for your advise. I really appreciate it.

I am not absolutely sure if you have to inform INS about your marriage although I think it is recommended.

Call the INS helpline and they will help you out.

When you are about to adjust your status (and I assume you want to because of the marriage) you will need to have some sort of proof like joint-everything. They will ask them on the interview (but not always though).

Pictues of your wedding and other ones, sworn letters by friends will also help.

Best of luck.