50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: U.S. Citizen Married in Canada

A friend of my wife named Dara, moved to Toronto and married a Canadian citizen approximately 4 years ago. They have been living in Canada since, but 6 months ago, he lost his job as the Canadian company he worked for closed and moved to Mexico.

Question here is, "Can she (who was or maybe still is a U.S. citizen) move back here with her husband?" Would she and/or her husband be placed on a waiting list? My wife and me would like to know if anyone can answer these questions.

move back to the states with her husband

A friend of my wife named Dara, moved to Toronto and married a Canadian citizen approximately 4 years ago. They have been living in Canada since, but 6 months ago, he lost his job as the Canadian company he worked for closed and moved to Mexico.

Question here is, "Can she (who was or maybe still is a U.S. citizen) move back here with her husband?" Would she and/or her husband be placed on a waiting list? My wife and me would like to know if anyone can answer these questions.

move back to the states with her husband

Your friend should call the US embassy in Canada and ask about submitting the initial form I-130 for her husband there. That's much shorter process (3months)then returning to USA and then filling (about 1 year).

No, she should file for an immigrant visa petition for her husband.

Thanks to all who responded. I got it.

P.S. America is the greatest! Buy American, hire American and support E-verify.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
    You forgot a couple things. Eat hamburgers, they're less fattening than burritos. And of course my favorite, vote Republican. We just might be able to get back a country worth sneaking into. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leaving In Droves Before Long!! But The Mess to clean Up!!!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

They should both have no problems going back and forth between Canada and the US, just make sure you don;t choose to be far off the borders for shortest travels. They each retain their citizenship to either country and can file for the other upon deciding to settle in the US or in Canada. I have a friend in a similar arrangement, where he works/schools in Canada and she in the US, they've been going back and forth for a while because she lives in Michigan and he lives in Toronto (pretty close) and got married last year and just decided where they should both settle down.