50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Applied for residency April 6, 2001

I have tried to get a response from INS regarding my application for Permanent Residency.

I arrived in the US in June of 2000, from New Zealand with a 6 month visa. I applied for an extension, this was for 6 months, but was purported to take 365 days to complete.

I married a US citizen in March 2001, and we started the process of applying for Residency in April 2001.

I applied for a work permit and got a job at the same time. I have been working since April 2001.

I went for my Adjustment of Status interview in February of this year. They advised then that i did not have all the relevant paperwork, my husbands divorce decree, and our 2001 filed tax returns. They did advise then that they had to contact New Zealand Police to do a background check, and this could take up to 6 months, i thought they were joking!!

Also, I passed my Drivers Licence and was issued a temporary one in March of this year, and have since had to renew this, this is about to expire again, apparantly I cannot receive a DL until my application for residency has been granted/denied?

I called an automated service about 2 months ago, and they said that i would receive some form of notification within a month. I called again last week and spoke to a representative from INS who told me that i would hear within another 30 days.

I did ask if they could give me a phone number to call San Francisco, they said there was a number, but they did not know it, or know where to find it.

HELP!!!!

I have tried to get a response from INS regarding my application for Permanent Residency.

I arrived in the US in June of 2000, from New Zealand with a 6 month visa. I applied for an extension, this was for 6 months, but was purported to take 365 days to complete.

I married a US citizen in March 2001, and we started the process of applying for Residency in April 2001.

I applied for a work permit and got a job at the same time. I have been working since April 2001.

I went for my Adjustment of Status interview in February of this year. They advised then that i did not have all the relevant paperwork, my husbands divorce decree, and our 2001 filed tax returns. They did advise then that they had to contact New Zealand Police to do a background check, and this could take up to 6 months, i thought they were joking!!

Also, I passed my Drivers Licence and was issued a temporary one in March of this year, and have since had to renew this, this is about to expire again, apparantly I cannot receive a DL until my application for residency has been granted/denied?

I called an automated service about 2 months ago, and they said that i would receive some form of notification within a month. I called again last week and spoke to a representative from INS who told me that i would hear within another 30 days.

I did ask if they could give me a phone number to call San Francisco, they said there was a number, but they did not know it, or know where to find it.

HELP!!!!

i am in the same situation and have tried to get a number for chicago, but guess what, they dont have one, and that number they give you to call, is a joke, ppl like us have to wait months to years for something but yet it seems if your a terrorist you get in no problem, the system is so screwed and they wondoer why people choose to be illegal,
    i hope you hear something soon as well as many of us waiting for the 'ins'

What amazes me is the fact that they waste all that time getting you to sit there like herded cattle, preview all the relevant documentation and then send you away, repeatedly!!

I heard of someone whose application was granted in 7 months.. doesnt that just break your heart.

The INS process is blatently designed to be slow and cumbersome. The purpose is to deter people from immigrating or at least make it quite difficult to 'weed' out those who are not absolutley committed to the process. I, personally have had to stand in line (at Newark where if you are not on line before 5:30am you will not get in) 8 times already for various reasons and still anticipate 4 more visits before I am done (which I estimate will take another 3 years for a grand total of 8 yrs for a marriage based Green Card (To a US citizen - you would think that it should have been straight forward). My case is a simple one with no 'twists or turns' but yet it takes years...

The reason: The voting public does not deal with the INS and really does not have much sympathy with people who are dealing with them. You get the connection - you can't vote until you are a citizen and why should they pander to people who can't vote....

It is no wonder why the INS is so slow... If they wanted to be effective, they could drop their case load by at least 400% simply by taking care of business once - not multiple times. I know the ajudacator at Newark by name... That is simply ridiculous!

Oh well - patience will win the day! And the illegals - sooner or later the process catches up with them!

Good luck!

Cynthia

I got married in July 1999 and am still just in the middle of the process... (See my other post related to processing times).

To get a DL all you should need is a SSN. Perhaps even a TIN (Tax ID number) might work... Depending on which visas are elidgable for SSN's you should be able to get a 'restricted' SSN (not valid for work) which in turn should get you your DL. At least that is the case in NJ. A check with the DMV and then the SS office should confirm whether this is the case or not...

I was able to get a permanent DL within days of moving to the US on a temporary non-immigration visa (TN).

But who knows - the INS and DMV are as much fun as the IRS... Keeps us wondering who is designing all these processes!

being a legal (presumably are legal while "in status") taxpaying alien (i got my work permit the second monumentous visit, there was an amnesty on when i applied, so we got there about 7am, after driving for 3hours, and queued for about 2 1/2 hours, then only had to wait another 6 hours for help only to find out that the details on the website were wrong, i DID need a medical... that nearly made me weep...

There was a hilarious part to the day, they took my plastic pre-school scissors (what they were doing in my copious handbag is beyond me) off me, what was i gonna do with them? hehe...

i was reading on this website that the INS have changed their computer system, and well they are not processing as many applications, cos they got to learn to use the computers, well what a suprise, a lot of us, that arent in the US yet awaiting visa will have to stay out a bit longer so they can learn to use a computer, what a joke!!!