50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guidelines for Immigration Matters and Attorneys.

TO all,
    I am trying to post the guidelines for any one who are dealt or dealing with immigration matter
    You are welcome to add any suggestion so everyone can benifit.

1) While dealing with Immigration Lawyer take consultancy in details before hiring him as your Lawyer.
    2) not all the Immigration attorneys have knowledge in all the immigration area, ask him regarding particular case related to your concern and his sucess in the same matter before hending over the case( EX: Family AOS, 245I, Political asylum, Waivers,etc)
    3) Ask if he is member of any orgnaisation. sometime if the attorney has lack of knowladge of some area he can call to other members and get the answer for you.
    4) Keep and ask all the copies what was filed and filing for your record. specially the receipts, it will be very helpful for future.
    FOIA takes more then 3 months, and information becomes handy if needed, ( alien dont have to wait for FOIA info).
    5) ask your attorney about the filing and result in both ways ( id denial what will be the next step and if approve then wht will be the next step for further proceed)
    6) you must ask your attorney about the time line , Many filings are coupled with time, and if time expires the alien will be refrain to adjust, ITs always better to ask the attorney if the resultantant will be time bounded. wht will be the time limit? 30 days 90 days.
    7) must ask your attorney about on going process and if time bounded. Lets say if someone appeal the decision, and next step is brifing , the time will be short and may be 10 days. id you know for hand that briefing schedule allow you only ten days you can be prepared for hand with all the evidence, afidavits and briefing notes.
    8) keep calling your attorney for update of your case if any new corrospondance was done/received.
    9) I don't recommand to call you attorney for your processing times update as its not in their hand.

TO all,
    I am trying to post the guidelines for any one who are dealt or dealing with immigration matter
    You are welcome to add any suggestion so everyone can benifit.

1) While dealing with Immigration Lawyer take consultancy in details before hiring him as your Lawyer.
    2) not all the Immigration attorneys have knowledge in all the immigration area, ask him regarding particular case related to your concern and his sucess in the same matter before hending over the case( EX: Family AOS, 245I, Political asylum, Waivers,etc)
    3) Ask if he is member of any orgnaisation. sometime if the attorney has lack of knowladge of some area he can call to other members and get the answer for you.
    4) Keep and ask all the copies what was filed and filing for your record. specially the receipts, it will be very helpful for future.
    FOIA takes more then 3 months, and information becomes handy if needed, ( alien dont have to wait for FOIA info).
    5) ask your attorney about the filing and result in both ways ( id denial what will be the next step and if approve then wht will be the next step for further proceed)
    6) you must ask your attorney about the time line , Many filings are coupled with time, and if time expires the alien will be refrain to adjust, ITs always better to ask the attorney if the resultantant will be time bounded. wht will be the time limit? 30 days 90 days.
    7) must ask your attorney about on going process and if time bounded. Lets say if someone appeal the decision, and next step is brifing , the time will be short and may be 10 days. id you know for hand that briefing schedule allow you only ten days you can be prepared for hand with all the evidence, afidavits and briefing notes.
    8) keep calling your attorney for update of your case if any new corrospondance was done/received.
    9) I don't recommand to call you attorney for your processing times update as its not in their hand.
    Its a discussion, not a legal advise..

Thanks Mohan for the info.

deport illegal aliens

deport guest

These are great advises. I have an attorney that is sending me crazy. I do not know what else to do. He filed my case in April of 2001. Immigration requested more info by July 2002, the info was given to the attorney who probably sent it in late, then had to file to re-open the petition in September 2002. In January of 2003 I visited the BICS site and discovered the a decision was made on the case in october 2002, however the attorney claim that he did not receive a reply. I tried to acquire the decision but was told by immigration that a third party cannot receive the information, because I am the benificiary. Only the attorney or the petitioner can. Since the petitioner has requested the info, but has not receive a reply. Can you believe the attorney says he still has not received a reply. Some thing is wrong, I am really confused. Good advise is hard to come by.

Thats why I wrote these advise and ask anyone to add sensible. Everyone is welcome.

You can Ask For FOIA request. IT totally carelessness of atttorney, he might received the reply but lost it or never filed in your file. You will get the truth once FOIA is file. FOIA record will point out the address of reply sent.
    Sometime its hard to open the motion to reopen in that case you have to file complaint against the attorney and then copy of complaint to be attached and Incompetiency of Lawyer should be the base of your re-opening the petition.BIA may take into consideration.

Thank you! Actually, I tried another lawyer and his advise was to pursue the process before getting a new attorney. However what is FOIA, and do I acess it thru' the same means.

Notice Which Fails To Include Correct Zip Code Is Not Properly Addressed

what ana?