Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE FIANCE VISA

Hello it's me again,

I'm planning on asking a K1 visa but not anytime soon.
    I would still like to know if somebody can tell me about all u have to do to get it and about the interview (what are the most asked questions, are they trying to trick you) and what happens at the airport once u get it and go to the US, can they deny my entry in the US??
    Can it take more than a year to get it in France?
    Will the fact that I have a child with the USC help me or the opposite?..
    Does the USC have to be physically present for the interview??
    Who has to apply, the USC in the US or the other person?
    Is it better to get a lawyer to take care of everything?
    I would like to know as many things as possible so don't hesitate if you know a lot about this topic.
    THANK YOU!

Hello it's me again,

I'm planning on asking a K1 visa but not anytime soon.
    I would still like to know if somebody can tell me about all u have to do to get it and about the interview (what are the most asked questions, are they trying to trick you) and what happens at the airport once u get it and go to the US, can they deny my entry in the US??
    Can it take more than a year to get it in France?
    Will the fact that I have a child with the USC help me or the opposite?..
    Does the USC have to be physically present for the interview??
    Who has to apply, the USC in the US or the other person?
    Is it better to get a lawyer to take care of everything?
    I would like to know as many things as possible so don't hesitate if you know a lot about this topic.
    THANK YOU!

Audrey:

First, the K-1 fiancee visa must be requested by your USC boyfriend. He fills in the forms, and then a packet of information must be filled in by you. When my husband and I went this route it took nearly 6 months to get, and I don;t know if it takes longer now or not. You can check out what has to be done on the BCIS home page. www.bcis.gov

hi audrey,
    visit this website and you will have clear idea including procedure , time frame and everything you need to know ...

http://k1.exit.com

Regards. Pasha

The only reason they would deny the Visa at the embassy after it has been approved here is if they feel that your relationship is not legit. The fact that you have a child with the USC spouse (assuming that this is the person filing the petition for you)is a "BIG PLUS" for you. It puts some substance into the relationship. I don't know very many people who would have a child just to get into the united states.

[This message was edited by Remi on November 23, 2003 at 03:15 PM.]

Thank you again everybody for your answers.
    Swissnut I would like to know if u asked the help of a lawyer and how was your interview and everything if you don't mind.

Having a child just to go in the US would be crazy and like I always say, I live in France and I like it here so it's not like I want to go there for the country but I love my b/f and I want to be a family.
    The crazy thing is that there must be people that do that though...

Anyway thank you for the links too I'm about to check and see what I can find.

Thank you

Hi Audrey,
    Welcome to the group
    We went through Vermont, our interview was in Montreal, Canada. I (USC) went to his interview with him, but it is not necessary. Some consulate offices don't let you attend with your fiance, some do. Check with them when you get to that point in your processing, before you make plans to attend.
    The only other thing that would prevent you from getting his visa is if he has a criminal record..unfortunately I didn't know this at the time, and the visa denial was a HUGE letdown Make sure you follow all of the instructions when the USC files for the I-129F and check in this group for tips
    Best of luck to you and yours!

Oops, sorry, I didn't realize that your fiance is the USC. So let me rephrase that....if YOU don't have a criminal record, you should be fine.
    Fiance visas are not that difficult to obtain as long as you prove you have a bonifide relationship. Save all pictures, emails and phone bills as proof of relationship...start saving all of that NOW for when you do file, that way you're not rushing around trying to put bits and pieces together later. And the child you have together is proof too

You got a lot of good information already, I'd like to add: The U.S. citizen must file the fiance visa with proper documentation of your relationship (the longer, the better). If the child is biologically his, the child should be a U.S. citizen as well and should have all his or her proper documentation (birth cert, registration with the U.S. embassy if s/he was born in France, social sec. number, U.S. passport etc.), all that will be a plus and less of a hassle during the processing.

If you have not established the child's U.S. citizenship, I would do that first. If the child is not his biologically and a non-U.S. citizen and under the age of 18, then s/he needs to be included in the K-1 visa as a dependant child or needs to be formerly adopted by the U.S. citizen sponsor.

If your b/f or the father of the child is not helpfull, the fact that you have a U.S. child may be a factor that you could be denied even a simple visa (because of the assumption that you may be an intending immigrant).

If all goes well, with the K-1 application in place, you will be notified by the U.S. embassy to go for your medical in your country and the to come in for an interview. You need to be medically and otherwise admissiable, a list of what problems could make you inadmissiable are on the bcis web-sites, in general almost anything that makes a person deportable raises inadmissiabity issues plus some - sorry to hear about your probs "lonely in USA").

Once approved you'll receive a 90 day K-1 visa with work authorization. As soon as you enter, you have 90 days to marry your sponsor (only him, you can not adjust your status with anybody else or for any other reasons.) If a wedding does not take place in this time frame you need to return in order not to be overstaying. Once wed, you and your husband need to adjust your status. Make sure at this stage that you obtain again a work authorization to obtain a SSN - without which you can't get work). And from there you take the steps of conditional legal permanent residency, removal of condition etc. in the years to come... Au revoire!

Kudris, your information was very helpful and complete, and I appreciated your welcoming French at the end, but since Audrey is French, it should be.....
    Au revoir