50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: What say you?

I initially came to USA on F-1, got married in USA (my wife is an LPR) while I was attending school, and then fell out of status in 1999 after leaving the graduate program. From 1999 to early 2002 I worked fulltime without permission from INS and by claiming US citizenship on I-9. When I applied for V-status, I did not mention this work history on I-539/I-765; neither did I file taxes for income during this period. Then, I obtained V-1 status and EAD in August 2002, and currently I'm working fulltime. Now that I have to go for special registration, what can I expect from INS?! As far as I know, F-1 student is admitted (when I was admitted, it may have changed since then) DURATION OF STATUS, and unless INS officially declares the F-1 student out of status, he/she does not continue to accrue overstay. So is that plausible to INS for my status between 1999 and 2002? Should I get an attorney to accompany me to the registration interview? How extensive a source of info will INS have access to pertaining to my particular case? Should I expect punitive measures from both INS and IRS? Please advise. Thanks.

I initially came to USA on F-1, got married in USA (my wife is an LPR) while I was attending school, and then fell out of status in 1999 after leaving the graduate program. From 1999 to early 2002 I worked fulltime without permission from INS and by claiming US citizenship on I-9. When I applied for V-status, I did not mention this work history on I-539/I-765; neither did I file taxes for income during this period. Then, I obtained V-1 status and EAD in August 2002, and currently I'm working fulltime. Now that I have to go for special registration, what can I expect from INS?! As far as I know, F-1 student is admitted (when I was admitted, it may have changed since then) DURATION OF STATUS, and unless INS officially declares the F-1 student out of status, he/she does not continue to accrue overstay. So is that plausible to INS for my status between 1999 and 2002? Should I get an attorney to accompany me to the registration interview? How extensive a source of info will INS have access to pertaining to my particular case? Should I expect punitive measures from both INS and IRS? Please advise. Thanks.

If you were working during that period then your employer must have deducted taxes, so you do not have to worry about IRS.
    As far your Special Registration is concerned, you have got EAD and you are now on V Visa, so you need not worry about that. You are in a legal status now.
    Good luck.

A cooperation between INS and IRS is very rare. I have heard that SSA gives info to INS about students working full time or without permission, because they are violating their status than. Regarding your I-9 problem I wouldn't call it a claim of US citizenship, because you might have claimed to be a US national by answering that question on the form. But they could make a good case out of it I am sure! Good luck!

Umesh/Lucky, muchas gracias for your input.