50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: HELP F1

I graduated in June 2001 and commenced my Optional Practical Training (OPT), my OPT ended in June 2002.I am still in the USA.
    The problem is that I wish to go to graduate school. I have not yet been accepted, but I will know early next year.
    What I would like to know is that can I remain in the country and sort of have my F-1 status re-instated in January when I am accepted (and receive a new 1-20) or do I have to return to my country, wait till I am accepted and then apply for a new F-1 visa for graduate school and will remaining here jeopardize me in any way.

Kindly let me know the best thing that I can do.

Thanks.

I graduated in June 2001 and commenced my Optional Practical Training (OPT), my OPT ended in June 2002.I am still in the USA.
    The problem is that I wish to go to graduate school. I have not yet been accepted, but I will know early next year.
    What I would like to know is that can I remain in the country and sort of have my F-1 status re-instated in January when I am accepted (and receive a new 1-20) or do I have to return to my country, wait till I am accepted and then apply for a new F-1 visa for graduate school and will remaining here jeopardize me in any way.

Kindly let me know the best thing that I can do.

Thanks.

U have 60 days to stay AFTER your OPT is expired. So u better get the new I-20 BEFORE the end of that 60 days.

F1

I have a friend who was on OPT and had to enroll in the extension of university before the end of his OPT so he doesn't go out of status on F1 visa. I heard that community colleges also give I-20. If you can find a school that gives you a new I-20 before the end of your OPT, you should be okay.