50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: change of name

hello,i am a permanent resident,my card will expire in 2 years.i got married(will be 2 yrs this coming May) i wanted to apply for my citizenship using my husband's last name.so i just now went to DMV,SSS to have my name changed,but they won't let me do it coz my green card is under my "single name".they're saying this is a new thing that name should match from the immigration paper.my question is..do i really have to change my name on my permanent resident card(using my husband's last name) w/c they say takes 18 mos. before i can legally use it.when i apply for my citizenship.?
    if i do need to change my name first on my green card, do i really have to wait until the new card arrives for me to able to change my name in DMV, SSS,and use it to apply for citizenship???? pls. help me.!!!

hello,i am a permanent resident,my card will expire in 2 years.i got married(will be 2 yrs this coming May) i wanted to apply for my citizenship using my husband's last name.so i just now went to DMV,SSS to have my name changed,but they won't let me do it coz my green card is under my "single name".they're saying this is a new thing that name should match from the immigration paper.my question is..do i really have to change my name on my permanent resident card(using my husband's last name) w/c they say takes 18 mos. before i can legally use it.when i apply for my citizenship.?
    if i do need to change my name first on my green card, do i really have to wait until the new card arrives for me to able to change my name in DMV, SSS,and use it to apply for citizenship???? pls. help me.!!!

1..How you got your permanent residence Card, It must be through your husband and that might be a condition one of two years which will expire in 2years you need to see all your paper work which you have file to get your Allien Resident Card.

2..Your GC is in your median name, so what, why DMV/SSA should have any problem with that. It is not necessary that spouse must/should changed the name after marriage.I know that many US Citizens married to Arabs they never changed their names to husbands last names, it is the individuals wish if he/she want to change or not.

3.. What you want to change your name now, the proof is that you got married and want to have your name changed, which you never thought before, now you want to keep all you record straight.

All what is going on in the BCIS/INS due to lack of knowledge of the staff this kind of staff can never work in our Embassy, and Consulates, other wise we will have to close all over.

thank you sab34,Actually i got my GC not from my husband but thru my employer,and that was 1997(i know its that long and it's just now that i thought of applying for my citizenship.) i was really confused when SS told me that my name should match my greencard before they can change my last name on the card.even though i have my marriage certificate with me.DO YOU THINK it's okey for me to just use my husband's last name when i apply for my citizenship even though my SSS is still in my maiden's name.?coz the way i looked at it, if i use my maiden's name on the aplication, and they grant my citizenship, then.. i go back to SSS and DMV they still won't change my name on the card.if that's the case..then ..i can't use my husbands name legally. I am rigth???

Rachel:

When you apply for citizenship you will be given an opportunity to state what name you want to take upon your Natz. Look at the form.

Okie Celt

okie celt! on the form n 400 can i put my husbands last name as my legal name,even though all my other papers,such as SSS is still under my maiden's name? or just put my maidens name and check yes on the line asking if i want to change my name legally.