50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: am I on legal status ? Please help

Anybody knows if you have legal status while you're waiting for a B2 extension decision (i539) ?

I've been waiting for INS to decide on my application to extend my stay for more than three months now. Last Friday I was involved in a car accident(my fault), nobody hurt. When the cops asked me for my documents I showed them my foreign DL and passport.I was very nervous and the cop may have thought I had no documents. So he asked me if I had some evidence of my legal status. I said no, and he said "You better bring some proof that you are not ilegally in the US to the judge". I sent my original I-94 with the i539 application, all I have is my passport. What can I do ? am I out of status ?

Anybody knows if you have legal status while you're waiting for a B2 extension decision (i539) ?

I've been waiting for INS to decide on my application to extend my stay for more than three months now. Last Friday I was involved in a car accident(my fault), nobody hurt. When the cops asked me for my documents I showed them my foreign DL and passport.I was very nervous and the cop may have thought I had no documents. So he asked me if I had some evidence of my legal status. I said no, and he said "You better bring some proof that you are not ilegally in the US to the judge". I sent my original I-94 with the i539 application, all I have is my passport. What can I do ? am I out of status ?

Technically your stay will be considered legal until you receive denial letter from the INS. You must have kept a copy of I-94 with you. If somebody asks you for papers you can show copy of I94 and copy of extention petition as a proof.
    Good luck.

Thanks Umesh. I found the Receipt from INS for my application for extension but is that enough ?Do you know how can I "technically" prove my stay is legal until I get a denial ?

You must have kept a copy of I-94 and Copy of Petition for extension of your stay. Those are enough proof alongwith INS receipt.
    Good luck.

Ok, I just hope the judge understands those documents prove I am on legal status. Thanks.