50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Change of address

I am a GC holder for the past 9yrs and have moved to 3 different addresses without notifying the INS.I have live at my current address for the past 4yrs.Will that be an issue with my citizenship.I am still waiting for my swearing in date.Is being over two months that I had my interview.
    Your advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

I am a GC holder for the past 9yrs and have moved to 3 different addresses without notifying the INS.I have live at my current address for the past 4yrs.Will that be an issue with my citizenship.I am still waiting for my swearing in date.Is being over two months that I had my interview.
    Your advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

There is an article at the first page of this site. It might be a good idea for you to read that when you have a minute. Good luck.

The new regulation states that non-citizen should report to the INS their new address within 10 days or face deportation. What was your last address in the INS database? Since the regulation came out recently, then your address in the INS database to your latest address should be included only in the new regulation. Send it via registered mail so that you will have proof that you informed the INS. Good luck.

I hate to disagree cause its always disagreeable

I know what the article says on the front page of this site. A person is being deported for not reporting his change of address.

But it looks like the reg says that the failure to report change of address will not in itself be grounds for deportation. So, I am just a bit confused here. Also, I think the gist is that if the perm. resident can show that he did not intend to fool the INS, he SHOULD be ok. That's what I get from reading other pages. I am not a lawyer or a law student this is just my opinion based on what I am reading.

I have read several articles in newspapers from all over the US recently, and each one states that these changes in address must be reported without exception. I agree that sending it via registered mail is a great idea. Despite the fact that INS has an enormous backlog of changes of address, you still have the responsibility to report the change.

The law is very clear - you must file a change of address or it is/could be grounds for deportation. It is just that it was not enforced in the past...

But based on the letter of the law and the recent actions of the INS; if you move and are not a citizen - you must file a change of address (AR-11 I believe). If you have moved in the past and have not notified the INS - FILE IT NOW. This applies to everyone; not just those with pending cases with the INS

But, I am not sure whether it is safe to send in an AR-11 form months or even years after your last move. Since the ten-day deadline has passed, can the INS not hold you guilty?

Since the issue affects potentially millions of immigrants and their families, we need to lobby Congress and the Administration. Contact your U.S. Senator and U.S. Representative ASAP. They cannot ignore this issue especially in an electio n year.