50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: i-94

I applied a petition to change my status (tourist) to student visa (2 months ago) I wanted to take a 1-year culinary course. It takes too long for me while the school has started and under the new law I can't do it.
    I want to cancel it and do my course in another country instead. What should I do to get my I-94 back. How long will it take for me to get it back?
    Thank you.

I applied a petition to change my status (tourist) to student visa (2 months ago) I wanted to take a 1-year culinary course. It takes too long for me while the school has started and under the new law I can't do it.
    I want to cancel it and do my course in another country instead. What should I do to get my I-94 back. How long will it take for me to get it back?
    Thank you.

Optimistically, 4-6 months. Pessimistically ? Well, if you decide not to ever enter US again, you can leave right now. Otherwise, please wait. Your departure record(the number on 1-94) is vital for the determination of 3/10 year barring rule.

James

gee, i need to go home next month...i think i'll be fine by not entering this country anymore... my question is can i go out of this country without i-94? won't they ask for it at the airport?

thanks,

lika

Where did you send your I-94? For extension of your stay? INS requires only a photocopy of the I-94.
    At this point your decision not to study here in the US is prudent as it is very hard to convince lately changing visa to F-1 here in the US.I guess you know that to have an F-1 visa you have to get it in your mother country.best of luck!

Kalika, you can leave the country whenever you want without surrendering the I-94 card. Again, legally speaking, you won't be able to obtain US visa or re-enter US in the future. Think twice.

James