free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiancee is overseas

I am a permanent resident and have been so for over one year now. I had a girlfreind back home but because of certain problems we could not get married and come here together. These problems have now been resolved and I would like her to come over so we can get married.

Can I petition INS for this, would a lawyer help and what other options do I have ?

I am a permanent resident and have been so for over one year now. I had a girlfreind back home but because of certain problems we could not get married and come here together. These problems have now been resolved and I would like her to come over so we can get married.

Can I petition INS for this, would a lawyer help and what other options do I have ?

Yes. You can file a K-1 Fiance visa for her. When she arrives, you must get married within 90 days.

It never hurts to see a lawyer (except the pocket book), but if there are no problems with your case, you may not need one.

See http://k1.exit.com

Congratulations and good luck

Actually I don't think you can use the K visa. It's for US citizen's fiancees only. As a permanent resident, your spouse has to maintain her own legal status (e.g. H1, F1) while waiting for the green card petition.

From the INS website it appears like only citizens can petition. Which leaves me wondering if a lawyer would be of any use or do I go chance the F1 route.

Frank,
    Don't get married. Trust me. After they get married, women get fat and cut their hair. Just trying to help.

Your fiancee will likely face difficulty qualifying for a student visa because she will have to convince the embassy that she will return to her country after her studies - not realistic if she is married to an LPR.

Just out of curiosity. Why do you need to tell INS or US embassy that you have a fiance in the US? There's really no legal binding between two people that they will actually get married in the future. There's no guarantee.

The back of the visa application specifically asks the question: Do you have any of the following living in the US - spouse/parents/fiancee/brothers/sisters.

Please do not consider answering this question with an "inaccurate" response. It will only lead to more difficulties.

It's on the form? Okay then, I guess you got to tell them.