50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Citizenship

Hello, I have been eligible to become a citizen for a few years now. I recently got married to a US citizen but he has been collection food stamps (income is low) to help cover food costs for his kids.

DSHS now wants my information because we are married. Will this affect my citizenship? I have never had any help from the government.

Hello, I have been eligible to become a citizen for a few years now. I recently got married to a US citizen but he has been collection food stamps (income is low) to help cover food costs for his kids.

DSHS now wants my information because we are married. Will this affect my citizenship? I have never had any help from the government.

Hi Shelly2020,

Welcome back! Your husband's relial on food stamps has nothing to do with your citizenship. Go ahead and file. And, best of luck to you!

There is a name I have not seen in years Nice to see you are still here.

So what about DSHS asking for my SSN? They are not going to add me are they? He told me they wanted it because they are looking at household income. He makes alot less then I do and has 2 kids in his custody. I have my son so that makes us a total of 5.

Hey Shelly,

DSHS? I'm not familiar with that acronym, but even if you were on government assistance yourself, it wouldn't affect your application for citizenship. They only care about that when you are sponsoring an immigrant. You'll be okay.

Yes, I believe that ProudUSC is correct. Your status with regard to government assistance should not affect your application for citizenship. To provide further assistance with this topic, you might want to check out this link, which discusses some other relevant issues regarding citizenship application: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guid...hen-to-hire-a-lawyer. Also note that the funding for citizenship assistance has increased this year: http://www.asianjournal.com/da...ship-assistance.html
    Always interested in the H1-B visa, the Eb-5 Visa Program and other Eb5 Investor Visa related issues.

When you apply for for Citizenship you are the petitioner not your husband. It's you they look at not your husband. Good luck.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Makes no sense. If he was on food stamps, she never would have got residency without an affiant on the application. Just another case of immigrants depending on welfare.

Jeez, somebody can't read. She said her husband is on welfare, not HER. She also said she was "eligible to become a citizen for a few years now". HE wasn't her sponsor. If you can't say anything useful then say nothing at all.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

No, he was not my sponsor. I have been a perm res since 03 and I just married him this past July. He has food stamps because he has custody of his 2 boys and was laid off back at the beginning of the year. In this economy it was a little difficult to find a job. He finally got one but DSHS said they would continue his food stamps for another year.

He is not just "living off of welfare". I certainly do not live off of it either! I am sorry but I a work hard and pay my taxes just like you.