ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



Immigration Daily

Chinese Immig. Daily

The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
© 1995-
Immigration LLC.

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: H1B to Greencard - How??

  1. #1
    I just got my H1B status. I've heard that I now have to possibility to change my status to a lawful permanent resident(greencard). How do I go about doing this?

  2. #2
    I just got my H1B status. I've heard that I now have to possibility to change my status to a lawful permanent resident(greencard). How do I go about doing this?

  3. #3
    what category r u? eb-1, eb-2?

    If you would like to become a lawful permanent resident in the United States based on employment, you must file the following items with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services:

    Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

    Please review Supplement A to Form I-485 to see if additional fee requirements apply to you.

    Form G-325A Biographic Data Sheet (Between the ages of 14 and 79)

    Form I-693 Medical Examination Sheet (not required if you are applying based on continuous residence since before 1972, or if you have had a medical exam based on a fiancé visa)

    Two color photos taken within 30 days (Please see BCIS Form I-485 for more instructions on photos.)

  4. #4
    i got help in adjusting my status! it needed a lot of paperwork,and i wasn't going to make suffer and make mistakes, so i got smart and got assistance ;-) here's the e-mail add, you might be interested, too. yup, i sure did get adjusted, and now, we're filing for naturalization.

  5. #5
    You will need an employer to sponsor you. The same employer that sponsored your H1B could start a new process for a green card.

  6. #6
    It's not as simple as one of the previous posters makes it out to be. First, your current employer would be required to prepare several things on your behalf. Unless they can do something for you as an outstanding person/extraordinary ability, etc. (not sure that could be a possibility for a pilot), the first step is a labor certification, which does not involve INS, but the Department of Labor. This certification is basically a statement from your employer that, after a prescribed period of recruitment (either as directed by the local state's employment security commission or done six months in advance by your employer using a variety of means) the employer has been unable to find a qualified U.S. worker (this includes US citizens and lawful permanent residents) to perform the duties of the job they want to offer to you permanently. This process may take upwards to 2 years, depending on the state you reside in and the type of labor certification. After the labor certification is approved, your employer may file the I-140 petition for Immigrant Worker and, at the same time, the adjustment of status. Depending on where you live, it would take anywhere between 3 to 4 years for the whole process. However, when you file the adjustment of status, you also include a form for employment authorization, which means that your family members could work while this application is pending.

    If you change employer during the labor certification phase, you must restart the process, because this type of paperwork is employer-specific (in other words, the employer prepares this paperwork on your behalf).

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 10:59 AM
  2. F1 to h1b vs greencard
    By caiaphas in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 09:39 AM
  3. TN to H1B to GreenCard
    By Noelam in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-17-2006, 11:11 PM
  4. Does H1B cap affect H1B renewals?
    By honestworker in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 05:31 AM
  5. H1B, consulting, and greencard
    By simmy in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: