free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-140 Filing "Please help"

Hello everyone.....Hello........My attorney has been giving me such a run around regarding the filing of my I-140. Eventually i rec word that it was filed on Thursday August 16'th - Vermont.
    How will i know if it is filed ?. Can I call Vermont to enquire ?. Will they issue me with a receipt or any form of paper work once they receive it ? or will my attorney get everything.
    Also very important how long does it take for it to be filed ?. what is the difference between receipt date and filed date?
    I want to file my I485 myself as i am afraid that the attorney will not perform again so i know what docs is needed for the I-485 but wont i need some form of paper for the I-140. Please anyone any suggestions will help. I have spent thousands of dollars and its going to be nearly 3 years since the process was started. I am worried, sad, and not sure what to do. Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks

Hello everyone.....Hello........My attorney has been giving me such a run around regarding the filing of my I-140. Eventually i rec word that it was filed on Thursday August 16'th - Vermont.
    How will i know if it is filed ?. Can I call Vermont to enquire ?. Will they issue me with a receipt or any form of paper work once they receive it ? or will my attorney get everything.
    Also very important how long does it take for it to be filed ?. what is the difference between receipt date and filed date?
    I want to file my I485 myself as i am afraid that the attorney will not perform again so i know what docs is needed for the I-485 but wont i need some form of paper for the I-140. Please anyone any suggestions will help. I have spent thousands of dollars and its going to be nearly 3 years since the process was started. I am worried, sad, and not sure what to do. Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks

Sorry meant to say that this application is employment based and the date the I-140 was filed was August 15th and not 16th. Thanks

Assuming your lawyer filed your application, you will receive a courtesy copy of the application.This is one way to check whether the lawyer had filed on your behalf.
    If you have no confidence in your lawyer, then drop him.it is important to know what your lawyer can do to you as a client.if you think he is doing unethical practices then file appropriate complaint to the state bar org or to AILA, assuming if he is a member.
    Vermont SC is comparatively faster compare to the other SC.Just hope things turn out OK.

After filing your I-140, expect to receive from INS a Notice of Action withing 3 months. For now calling INS will not be of any help to you to check whether your application has already been recieved. In case you use your personnal check to pay for the filing fee, once they in cash your check, then you are sure your application is okay. By the way, is there any reason for you to doubt your lawyer? You have to know also that there is a new procedure implemented just recently where you can now file you AOS together with your I-140 application, and you EAD as well. Talk to your lawyer about this.

Thanks for the prompt replies and all your concerns. Because of my past experience, there is no way i can continue with the attorney. Yes i am drafting a complaint regarding the attorney's unethical behavior and the many many wasted months that have passed. I am preparing to do my own adjustment of status. I know with the new rule, i can file together with I-140, the only thing is that i am not sure whether or not ins will want a receipt no or some sort to confirm that my application has been filed. Will they send me any paper work or receipt or will they send the employer(sponsor). How long will this take. I already starting preparing for the adjustment of status phase, filling forms etc. I am just so hesitant to mail it to INS incase they want proof of the appliction for I-140. My company rec. letter from the attorney saying that it was sent overnite express. Not sure whether i should wait for a while or call vermont. These past years have been nothing but a nightmare. Thanks please let meknow your thoughts

Try finding a mutually acceptable lawyer for both of you and your employer.If you do that chances are the employer may give their share in the processing expenses.
    I still advice you though to find a lawyer whom you have the trust and confidence of his/her expertise.

Bugsy, u are really very helpful, and so efficient. You would be a great immigration attorney. Keep up the great work, I am sure there are 100's of people who are in need of sound advice and probably someone like u who cares. Back to my problem, yes this attorney is handling all the company's immigration, as per meeting with the company, they say that sponsorship will always be there (ha i am paying though) I have said to company that i will take over the process after petion is filed and now that is one i am doing. Although the big question is with the new rule, should i file the I-485 ?. Visas are current for employment based and my country.
    I-140 was filed in vermont, must i send the I-485 to vermont or can i visit and apply at my local ins office here. This is the only nagging thoughts which i have right now. Thanks

Normally, I-485 is sent to the Service Center of which you reside, make sure to double check which CS your State falls under.Local INS are only for interview,renewal of IDs, etc. and not for I-485 filing.

Oh Thanks bugsy, i will send the i-485 to vermont then because this is where the attorney has filed the I-140. Thanks for everthing, i wish u the best in everything that u are doing and i hope in someway somewhere u are repaid for all your generous help. Thanks