publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Who has the correct information?

Hi everybody!

Last week I(finally, after 7 months waiting) got my employment authorization card (EAD)and then rushed to the nearest SS Administration office to get my SS# (in LA).
    To my surprise, an attendant told me that I should return whithin two weeks to apply for my SS# because my name(or whatever else) was not in the system yet.
    I got really upset because I've waited for over 7 months for BCIS to issue my EAD, and now that I have the required document to get my SS#, I'll have to wait again.

Ok! Two weeks is nothing for someone who waited over 7 months for a document that is usually issued whithin 1-3 months'time. My concern, though, is that I'm having my status adjusted and soon I may be scheduled for interview, and we'll have to show evidence of our bona fide marriage.
    I need this SS# in order to have my name in the income tax/2002.(we asked for an extension which is due 09/15, and it looks like I won't have my SS# by then).
    Although it's not my fault, I'm the one who is likely to have my adjustment status delayed(or denied)because of BCIS/SSA bureaucracy and delay.

What should I do to in a situation like that?
    Can anybody advise on that?

THANKS!

Hi everybody!

Last week I(finally, after 7 months waiting) got my employment authorization card (EAD)and then rushed to the nearest SS Administration office to get my SS# (in LA).
    To my surprise, an attendant told me that I should return whithin two weeks to apply for my SS# because my name(or whatever else) was not in the system yet.
    I got really upset because I've waited for over 7 months for BCIS to issue my EAD, and now that I have the required document to get my SS#, I'll have to wait again.

Ok! Two weeks is nothing for someone who waited over 7 months for a document that is usually issued whithin 1-3 months'time. My concern, though, is that I'm having my status adjusted and soon I may be scheduled for interview, and we'll have to show evidence of our bona fide marriage.
    I need this SS# in order to have my name in the income tax/2002.(we asked for an extension which is due 09/15, and it looks like I won't have my SS# by then).
    Although it's not my fault, I'm the one who is likely to have my adjustment status delayed(or denied)because of BCIS/SSA bureaucracy and delay.

What should I do to in a situation like that?
    Can anybody advise on that?

THANKS!

Why did you wait that long for the EAD? Where was your EAD filed?
    SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!

It's very strange that you had to wait 7 months just for EAD because it usually takes maximum 2-3 months only to be issued. At this time, I can only speculate certain underlying reasons in delaying your EAD- [1] might be your application for EAD was misplaced or lost somewhere in other section of same local office even though you have mailed all the applications altogether in a package, or [2] your local INS office is extemely busy, or [3] local office might have overlooked your application for EAD, or [4] an appointment letter for interview on EAD was lost in the mail to you previously. But again, we should not forget that BCIS is a most bureaucratic ageny in the govt compared to its other agencies. Anyway, it is late though, but better than never lol. The most important and good new is you got it.

It's also very surprised to me to know that the attendee at SSA asked you to come back after 2 weeks later just because your name is not in their database system yet. You should not take his/her answer/information for granted. There is no such rule or policy yet [at least I'm not aware of it yet] wherein you have to wait that long just for applying SS#. Everyone can apply SS# as long as they have valid documentation, and it's upto SSA to verify the validity of those documentation with any agency [including with BCIS] after applying of it. I can fully understand the waiting time AFTER applying for it, but I just can not understand the waiting time BEFORE applying for it. If I were you, I should have asked to see another attendee or supervisor just to make sure what I was told by first representative is correct or not. There is any harm in doing so.

You don't need ONLY SS# in order to file joint tax return or reporting any taxes. You should have asked for a taxpayer Identification # from IRS regardless of your immigration status because this number is issued to foreign citizens only, who can not obtain SS# otherwise. It takes upto 8 weeks to receive after applying for it, and immigration status never be asked in order to have this number. You are also allowed to file your tax without any SS# or tax Indentification # on your tax form, but you need to include a letter explaining why you are filing without any number and why you don't have any number yet, and then IRS not only will accept your tax form, but also will issue you a tax number right away, but they may charge you $50 penalty for filing the tax without any valid number. As far as immigration matter goes, then it is not important whether you have filed your taxes with SS# or with tax identification # or without any number at all, instead what is it important is whether you file the taxes on not. As long as your name is there on the tax form, you are okay. Your name itself on tax form would be suffice for immigration purpose. I hope the above information will help you in figuring out your next move. Best of all.

I agree with Sammy on trying another attendant at SS office. I don't think s/he knew what they were doing. How can your info get into the system if YOU don't put it there? BCIS isn't going to file the info with SS.

I filed joint taxes without hubby's SS#. There was no income involved on his part. He had no EAD at the time of filing. I got a letter from IRS addressed to both of us stating where our refund would be going. No mention of his not having SS#. I filed joint state taxes the same, I found our refund in the bank a month after it got there. They never even sent me a letter saying it had been deposited to our account.

Do you have documentation you can show BCIS that you have filed for an extension? I told the officer at our interview verbally that our co-sponsor had filed for one. She said "your all set, just waiting for background checks."

Mary,

About SS#, someone told me that when we get our EAD, BCIS may be and may be NOT update our data on the SAVE system, which SSA can check online with BCIS in order to approve the SS Card. For some ppl who got their SS# within 2 weeks were lucky since BCIS already updated their names in the SAVE system, but for those that SSA inform to wait for 6 to 8 weeks likely no information is update in the SAVE system, so they have to write to BCIS for confirmation.

But to reject and ask you to come back after two weeks is out of questions since they have to take your application and do the process. Why don't you try another SS center or just see the Manager.

Good luck Mary. My turn will coming soon, quite nervous how it will turn out. Hope it will be okay and smooth.

Thank you all for your help!

I'm glad there are people like you, willing to help others.
    I'm going right now to another SSA center and see what happens.
    If they accept my application, regardless of having or not my name in the database system, I'll certainly go back to that previous SSA center and I'll make a formal complaint about that attendee who rejected my application.

As for filing a joint income tax without a SS# or a IRS#, it sounds really strange to me that the immigration consultant who is in charge of my husband's income tax has not mentioned these other options(getting a TIN, filing without a SS#, etc).Actually, she went on vacation and is not coming back before August. By the way, she is the same person who filled out and filed my AOS package.
    I don't know exactly what happened to my EAD letter(if they sent it at all).
    After several tries to get track of my EAD, the only reply I got(through a lawyer's inquiry) was that it was missing from the AOS file.
    To make the story short, two months ago I filed form I-765 (again) and last week I was finally scheduled to get my EAD.
    By the way, they mispelled a letter of my married name. Can it cause any future problems?Should I go back to BCIS (in LA) to have it fixed?

I'll write about the news later.

THANKS A LOT FOLKS!
    GOD BE WITH YOU!!!