free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INS Background check

DO THE INS DO ONLY FBI/CIA BACKGROUNF CHECK OR DO THEY ALSO CHECK WITH LOCAL STATE AGENCIES
    I WAS TOLD THAT NOT ALL POLICE DEPARTMENT WILL SEND THE FINGERPRINT CARD TO THE FBI IF SOMEONE WAS ARRESTED ,CITED ,DETAINED ,CONVICTED THEREFOR NOT EVERYTHING WILL SHOW UP DURING THE INS CHECK

DO THE INS DO ONLY FBI/CIA BACKGROUNF CHECK OR DO THEY ALSO CHECK WITH LOCAL STATE AGENCIES
    I WAS TOLD THAT NOT ALL POLICE DEPARTMENT WILL SEND THE FINGERPRINT CARD TO THE FBI IF SOMEONE WAS ARRESTED ,CITED ,DETAINED ,CONVICTED THEREFOR NOT EVERYTHING WILL SHOW UP DURING THE INS CHECK

Most local police departments enter the arrest record into NCIC system,to find out if the person arrested is on Parole,wanted,or a terrorist,the NCIC is joint shared with the FBI,so there is no such thing as local arrest.Apart from the CIA/FBI background checks,there is a IRS check,has the applicant been paying taxes,Child support paymentS? I was asked at my N-400 interview if my tax filings were up to date.Good luck.

when i ordered my FBI File in 2001 (rap sheet or what ever they call it you have to send a 18$ check and your fingerprint need to be taken and put on the fingerprint card at the local police then you mail it to the FBI and it take a month to get back )

there was a stamp " no record"

If a person was arrested but not fingerprinted, will that show on FBI NCIC system?

If there is an arrest and the matter is Dismissed and Sealed by the court,the ins will know about that arrest,however they wont use that information against you,provided you do not lie to them.No record means,there isnt any current open cases on the individual,but the previous arrest information is still there,but not for public information.Botton line,DO NOT LIE TO THE INS,if you do base on the FBI NO RECORD responce,you will live to regret it,you will have to wait YEARS to re-apply for any Immigration benefits at best.

The INS uses the CIA and FBI for background checks. If they want to dig deep and see what you have done in the past - they WILL find it. So why lie? Just because you have something amiss in your past does not mean automatic refusal... But lying about your past will get you banned from the country... So my advice - be honest with them - they probably already know....

The government may have let thousands of immigrants with criminal backgrounds become naturalized citizens in Massachusetts, due in part to pressure from above to reduce a backlog of citizenship requests.

Immigration and Naturalization Service memos obtained by the Boston Globe show an internal audit of the Boston office, conducted in 1998, found an average of five out of every 30 immigrants approved for citizenship had criminal records, and 16 percent had been convicted of a crime not known to the FBI.

Data about other states was not included in the Globe's report.

In all, the Boston office naturalized 21,052 citizens in 2000, compared to 5,923 in 1990, the Globe reported Wednesday.

The Globe said the pressure was partly a byproduct of a now-disbanded 1996 Clinton administration initiative aimed at reducing the citizenship application backlog.

Because of pressure to reduce the backlog, agents check criminal backgrounds with the FBI but normally don't review state criminal records, the Globe reported. However, the audit found that felons from Massachusetts don't always show up on FBI records.

Under INS policy, all people applying for citizenship submit to a 10-finger print, which is sent to the FBI to check for matches, but many police departments in Massachusetts don't send prints to the FBI, so those felons don't show up on FBI checks, according to INS Special Agent Thomas Carroll, a quality control officer, who wrote the memo obtained by the Globe. He declined to comment on it.

Steven Farquharson, district director of the Boston INS office, said that after receiving Carroll's audit he sent a memo to INS headquarters asking for guidance, but he told the Globe the response several months later said he was not allowed to use other databases.

Russell Bergeron, spokesman for INS headquarters, said the fault lies with the FBI for not requiring all police departments to file fingerprints and with the departments themselves for not sending them.

A Department of Justice investigation of the Citizenship USA program concluded last summer that the flaws in the program were the result of an agency that is "a mess" with systemic problems, including poor criminal history background checks, that date back decades.

In the national program's granting of citizenship to 1.2 million people, the investigation found that a number of people with criminal histories became citizens.

So if someone was arrested for a misdemeanor and had the record EXPUNGED, the INS can still obtain the arrest records?

I THINK every time time you are arrested your fingerprints and info get entered into NCIC, but god knows whether or not those computer entries are deleted when your record is expunged.

What else do they check? Do they do credit check?