publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Current F1 student, convert to PR / Military?

Hi Board!

I've been reading this board for a while now but couldn't really find what I'm looking for.

Anyway. I'm 18 years old, student, Italian citizen, studying Aerospace Eng. at
    a private four year college in Florida (just started this Fall).
    I am really interested in staying here, I really do not intend going back after
    graduating. I would love to join the AirForce and be able to fly as a pilot there,
    although I know USC is needed... Military-wise, I might also be interested in joining
    the Army (SF's perhaps?), since I already joined the Army ROTC after filing a hundred
    different waivers. Anyway, I know I need USC for both career options, and I know age
    limit is 27-28 years to start basic instruction, so I don't have much time...
    In case my "AirForce / Army Dream" shouldn't work out, I would of course be interested
    in getting a PR and USC, anyway in order to work here...

What is the best way to start off? Can I start applying for PR while I'm in school?
    Do I have to wait till graduation, till I start working here for some companies?
    Is an Immigration Lawyer of any help in such a situation? I know that to get the F1
    Visa nomally you have to demonstrate no intent to stay in the States.
    However, I had no actual interview for my Visa. I just went to the Embassy, an officer
    asked me one question ("why study at that particular college?") and that was it.

Plus, what is easier...? Applying as a German or an Italian? Is there any difference?
    I have Italian citizenship, although I can easily get a German one since I was born there...
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanx,
    Bernardo

Hi Board!

I've been reading this board for a while now but couldn't really find what I'm looking for.

Anyway. I'm 18 years old, student, Italian citizen, studying Aerospace Eng. at
    a private four year college in Florida (just started this Fall).
    I am really interested in staying here, I really do not intend going back after
    graduating. I would love to join the AirForce and be able to fly as a pilot there,
    although I know USC is needed... Military-wise, I might also be interested in joining
    the Army (SF's perhaps?), since I already joined the Army ROTC after filing a hundred
    different waivers. Anyway, I know I need USC for both career options, and I know age
    limit is 27-28 years to start basic instruction, so I don't have much time...
    In case my "AirForce / Army Dream" shouldn't work out, I would of course be interested
    in getting a PR and USC, anyway in order to work here...

What is the best way to start off? Can I start applying for PR while I'm in school?
    Do I have to wait till graduation, till I start working here for some companies?
    Is an Immigration Lawyer of any help in such a situation? I know that to get the F1
    Visa nomally you have to demonstrate no intent to stay in the States.
    However, I had no actual interview for my Visa. I just went to the Embassy, an officer
    asked me one question ("why study at that particular college?") and that was it.

Plus, what is easier...? Applying as a German or an Italian? Is there any difference?
    I have Italian citizenship, although I can easily get a German one since I was born there...
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanx,
    Bernardo

Ciao Bernardo!

(Italiana, originalmente di Bologna). Ok, first of all, your best bet is to find an employer who is willing to sponsor you for a nonimmigrant visa such as the H-1B which allows you to work for that employer. Once you have the H-1B, your employer can then pursue the steps for getting you a "green card." As to enrolling in the armed forces, you would need to have employment authorization in order to do so (note: the optional practical training that you can get in F-1 status would not allow you to join the armed forces). Additionally, as you have stated, certain military occupations require U.S. citizenship, for security clearance purposes.

However, since Italy is part of NATO, you may want to contact the Esercito Italiano or Aeronautica Militare to see if they have some sort of program where you could train in the U.S. I used to live near Fort Bragg, NC, and there were quite a few Italian airmen who were doing their training in the U.S.

Getting permanent residence is not a fast or easy process. Unless you have very close family members who are U.S. citizens (and can sponsor you), your other best bet is employment in the U.S. (as I mentioned previously). You may also want to enter the diversity visa lottery.

I also strongly suggest you to contact a good immigration attorney (you can find one through www.aila.org) and discuss this with her/him, especially with regards to your interest in joining the armed forces.

Auguri!

"As to enrolling in the armed forces, you would need to have employment authorization in order to do so"

Wrong! You have to be a permanent resident of the US in order to apply for enlistment in the US Military. EAD won't be accepted. Furthermore, USAF enlistment requires a 10-yr greencard, if you have less than that (like CR) they won't accept you for processing.
    SEMPER VIPER / Army Strong!