free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: To hanbal-please advice

To Hanbal

Hanbal, I know you give lots of helpful advices here and I have one question for you.

I have a class C misdemeanor conviction(operating per se) with a year unsupervised probation. It involves 60 day imposed/suspended sentence. The maximum sentence for class C misdemenor is 60 days. It is my understanding that simple minor DUI like this won't be considered as CIMT nor as aggrav. felony. Can I think myself as admissible and nonremovable?
    What sort of problem if any, should I expect at re-entry? I am seriously devating whether I should retain a lawyer for this matter and your advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you and wish you a Happy New Year.

To Hanbal

Hanbal, I know you give lots of helpful advices here and I have one question for you.

I have a class C misdemeanor conviction(operating per se) with a year unsupervised probation. It involves 60 day imposed/suspended sentence. The maximum sentence for class C misdemenor is 60 days. It is my understanding that simple minor DUI like this won't be considered as CIMT nor as aggrav. felony. Can I think myself as admissible and nonremovable?
    What sort of problem if any, should I expect at re-entry? I am seriously devating whether I should retain a lawyer for this matter and your advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you and wish you a Happy New Year.

thank and a happy new year to you, too.

I don't think you're in trouble with your conviction. What exactly is your concern at this time? You should be able to limit the "statute" of this disability in 5 yrs. (for naturaluzation or adjustment purposes) and be safe.

A second such problem could be regarded as evidence that you're an "habitual drunkard" which could make you ineligable for naturalization.

Be safe and have a designated driver when you're drinking. Good luck!

Blah, Blah, Blah

Hanbal, Thank you for your reply. As always, your advice given was very helpful.
    The followings are my worries.

1. I was worried about what would happen to me at POE if I ought to travel abroad. The case is settled except that I am under UNSUPERVISED PROBATION which asks me not to drink. I asked the probation officer to find I am allowed to travel anywhere. Will the inspector find my name on their lookout list and conduct the 2ndary inspection?
    2. I was also wondering if I need to retain an immigration lawyer to write a letter for me in order to facilitate my entry.
    3. Finally, I will be applying for EAD sometime this year for OPT(Optional Practical Training) and was wondering if this conviction or probation has anything to do with EAD.

THank you again and will appreciate much for your advice. Bless you.

Your probation will not interfere in any way with your EAD.