ILW.COM - the immigration portal Immigration Daily

Home Page

Immigration Daily


Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board



Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation


CLE Workshops

Immigration books

Advertise on ILW

VIP Network




Connect to us

Make us Homepage



The leading
immigration law
publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: LPR wants to Petition Common Law Wife Instead of Legal Wife

  1. #1
    I am an LPR and I wish to file a petition for my common law wife in the Philippines instead of my legal wife. Is there any way I could do this?

  2. #2
    I am an LPR and I wish to file a petition for my common law wife in the Philippines instead of my legal wife. Is there any way I could do this?

  3. #3
    just to provide additional information - i have not been divorced from my legal wife (there's no divorce in the Philippines). I have been with my common law wife for ~5yrs and have kids with her.

  4. #4
    Bigamy is an offence in the United States and when you had applied for your LPR you had given an undertaking that you will not practice bigamy.
    You must have stated on your Visa Forms that you are married and who is your wife and how many children you have, whether from your legal wife or out of wedlock.
    So, my friend you have already committed a crime........

  5. #5
    Thanks Umesh for your reply,so now Im in this situation,Is there anything I can do or Is there any chances for me to bring them here even Im still married with my first wife yet we are separated for 8 years?

  6. #6
    Just to make it clear - I am not married to my common law wife - bigamy is an offense in the Phils. We went together when I split up with my legal wife.

  7. #7
    Only way for you is that you should get divorce from your legal wife. Since you are not living with her for the last over 8 years. You can file a Divorce petition in Phillpines and get divorce from your legal wife. Thereafter you can marry your girlfriend (so call common law wife) and sponsor her and your children. Since in your Immigration Papers you are married, as such, you must get a divorce from the Court there before proceeding further.

  8. #8
    There is no divorce in the Philippines.

    If you can't divorce, you cannot remarry.

    Just carry on the way you are. At least you have LPR.

    I know of Americans who can never bring their Filipino loved ones here because of previous marriages. INS and DOS look for this one. Eg. the legal names of declared children.

  9. #9
    Thanks for your replies.What if I became a US citizen,is there any chances at all?Since theres no divorce in Phippines,can I file a divorce here in US so I can marry my common law wife and bring here with me?Is that possible and what are the preceedings?Thanks

  10. #10
    You need a divorce lawyer. I believe that if you are a LPR and you spouse does not want to join you in USA, those would be legal grounds for separation.

    If your spouse does not contest it, divorce may be easier for you in USA.

    PS You need a divorce lawyer who has experience in Filipino law also.

Similar Threads

  1. Immigration Law Question: Sponsoring Wife
    By newday2008 in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
  2. What is my wife's legal name?
    By Davidvcp in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 06:21 AM
  3. I am desperate(wife filing for battered wife falsely) Help!
    By BrianBenson in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
  4. Trying to Petition My Wife who entered the U.S Illegally 20 yrs ago
    By phil1074 in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 10:02 PM
  5. LPR wants to petition wife and son, But...
    By synergy in forum Immigration Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Put Free Immigration Law Headlines On Your Website

Immigration Daily: the news source for legal professionals. Free! Join 35000+ readers Enter your email address here: