free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Divorce Question.....complicated

My spouse and I have been married 2 1/2 years and it is time to file for removing the conditions on his greencard...the marriage was a mistake and I want a divorce. I don't love him, he isn't what I thought he was and I am miserable. I am in love with someone else who happens to live in the same country as my current husband, Jordan. Will I have a hard time with immigration if I divorce this one to marry and try to bring my true love over here on a K-1 Fiance Visa or would I have better luck marrying him in Jordan and trying the K-3...all I really want is to be happy. Any advice....

My spouse and I have been married 2 1/2 years and it is time to file for removing the conditions on his greencard...the marriage was a mistake and I want a divorce. I don't love him, he isn't what I thought he was and I am miserable. I am in love with someone else who happens to live in the same country as my current husband, Jordan. Will I have a hard time with immigration if I divorce this one to marry and try to bring my true love over here on a K-1 Fiance Visa or would I have better luck marrying him in Jordan and trying the K-3...all I really want is to be happy. Any advice....

For courtesy sake, just let him complete the paperwork before you finalize divorce; idea is that if you loved him enough to marry him at some stage, its always good to finish what you started. No need for other people to walk on this earth bitter with you. After you are done with him, then you can marry the next one, help him, and on to the next one and so on. Its a revolving door, but please dont leave any of them hanging without their final green card.

but how will that look to immigration? My current husband wants to return to his country, he isn't happy here anyway. Will they give me a hard time to bring the new one here? I married the first one in good faith, but it's just not working. I don't want my bad judgement the first time around to prohibit a new husband from coming here.

General rule is always finish what you started. Please let him get his greencard, nbefore you start on the next one. As that time goes, why dont you be visiting the other one as often as you, and learn him more.

Susan,

Just so you know, the process to remove conditions takes a very long time so I doubt you will want to hang out for a few more years so this guy can get his GC. However, you MAY want to wait and both of you file for removal of conditions jointly.

If you make another application for marriage to another person, they WILL look at the case even more closely than before. That does not mean that the application will not be approved, but there will be a lot more questions and scruitiny of your applcation.

Sorry...

ARQU

We live on the east coast so that means dealing with the vermont service center which is only on december of 2001 I-751 petitions...i want to be divorced long before the time comes for that process of removing conditions (that i would have been filing this july) to actually be due for processing. i dont know what to do, it's all so stressful, i want this cement off my shoulders.

Here is the situation:

If you don't sign the petition, your spouse will likely be deported eventaully. He will have to file under hardship or abuse - both very hard cases to win...

If you wait until July to sign, then split up, he will be able to stick around until his application is heard (at least).

HOWEVER: (This is important) - You signed an affidaviat of support when you filed your original application. If your current spouse gets his GC - you will be on the hook for him financially FOR A VERY LONG TIME!!!!

So if he goes on Welfare or goes to Jail, the goverment will send the bill directly to you... So make your choice wisely.

Those are the facts, the choice is up to you.

ARQU

Are these rules about billing by govt for welfare or jail real? I have a feeling these are things the govt places to discourage people signing the affidavits of support. Do they ever enforce these things?
    I would stick with the guy to get his green card then good riddance, I move on. You guys can even live separately but have some common ground that would stand up as a marriage.

Although I do not personally know anyone who has been subjected to this; YES IT IS REAL!!!!

Read the affidaviat! It is a binding contract and you will not be able to get out of it!!! Bankruptcy will not even help you... So be sure of what you are signing - you could get a bill well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for some jerk's jail...

That is what they CAN do - I have no idea if they DO it...

ARQU