50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: --"SAMMY, facing deportation hearing-town where live wants me as citizen"

This is our story...came from Mexico in 1991 undocumented. Lived in Denver two years. Moved to Missouri because was better place to raise family. Had papers and SSN that were not mine. Worked for the same company from 1993 until 2003. Very active in the community - founding board Habitat for Humanity, on board of directors 6 years; board of directors 2 years for social service agency; member of service club; worked as liaison at my church between congregation and hispanic community; coached little league baseball and soccer; volunteered services for numerous agencies in community as a translator.
    In 2000, I interpreted for the local police dept in a murder case. The prosecuting attorney asked me to testify at the trial and did not want any surprises. I felt it was my duty as a member of the community to do as he asked and so I went to the chief of police and told him of my undocumented status. He reported to the INS and I in turn had to go to the INS for several interviews.
    During my interviews I was asked to act as an informant in the town I lived in to report any trade in forged documents. I agreed to do this and was given a document called "Public Interest Permit." This document allowed me to work legally and I presented it to my employer with my legal SSN. During the three years I worked under the public interest permit on two different occasions I was asked by the INS to carry out several additional assignments. The first assignment was to apply at an ethnic restaurant in another town to report any illegal immigration activities; I applied but did not get the job. On another occasion I was asked to carry a wire and make a contact and if successful to testify in court; I was told that if I did this I would have to move and they would give me a new identity. This was not something I wanted to do as I didn't want to move, but I agreed to do it anyway. However, they did not follow-up with details of this assignment so it was never completed. For the three years that I worked under the public interest permit I reported each year to have it renewed. It was renewed twice and at the end of the third year, 2003, it was taken away from me and I was told to report to a deportation agent and would eventually be given a hearing before a judge. I have been reporting each month to the INS office and after reporting in December they told me in January they would give me a date for my hearing which they said may be a year away. I have not been able to work since the permit was taken away because my employer did not want to get in trouble.
    I have contacted our Representative Ike Skelton and they were unable to help. Community members have given me about 20 letters of reference to my character and stated that they wanted to do everything they could to keep me in the community. These letters were from the mayor, city manager, chief of police, prosecuting attorney, president of the Chamber of Commerce, director of the local hospital, and other leaders in the community.
    I have a 9 year old son who is a citizen and a 16 year old son who is not. I have a wife who is working, but not documented.
    I now have all the letters in my INS file that will follow me to my hearing. What more can I do? I have met with two different lawyers and neither of them were that helpful or encouraging. I am still on good terms with both lawyers and can call on them as needed.
    I desperately need any advice you can give.
    Thank you.

Look for a sympathetic attorney that can help you. You obviously have access to the internet. Use it. Appealing to a wannabe immigration attorney on an internet chat board is not going to help your cause.

Irritated:

Now it appears that you are trying to drive people away from using this board as a tool to seek advise and learn from others! No one here claims to be an immigration attorney - nor do they claim to be as you so aptly stated "wannabe" attorneys.

I don,t think that is your right.

Yeah, that's right "advise" rather than "advice"- much to your consternation. Perhaps you would be better advised to place your efforts into developing a means by which those who post their comments could do a spell check before submitting. Then none of us, (foreigners) would irritate you with our poor grammar.

Actually, there are a few immigration attorneys that do post on this board. There used to be more than there are now. There are also people who work in law offices that post here. Why discourage people from using every resource that they have available?

Still Learning:

You maybe right, there may be atty's who post, and when they do I am sure they would get "irritated" being considered "wannabees" by IRRITATED.

The remark was made in reference to Chuck's subject header. My point is ---

This is a very serious matter and the ramifications are life altering. I would not put all of my marbles in one basket in the hope that Sammy will come to the rescue. My point is that Chuck needs to find a sympathetic attorney sooner rather than later.

Even 'lil peons like me that filed AOS without a lawyer know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Chuck, i did a tarot for you. I hope it helps.

Situation:
    The Ten of Swords is very similar to the Death card of the Major Arcana. It is not to be taken literally as an indication of an actual death but rather as evidence of an impending change which may initially be difficult to accept. This is a card of endings and possibly loss, but as with all endings there is heralded a new beginning, a rebirth, and a rejuvenation of the spirit. We may have been struggling with a difficult decision for some time, or we may have been clinging to something, which was ultimately not in our best interests, and now we must learn to let go. The process of change is often difficult, yet life is filled with uncertainty; "The only thing constant in life is change!"

Advise:
    The Two of Pentacles lets you know that you can juggle all demands made upon you. If you do not feel this level of confidence right now, this card asks you to believe in yourself. You have all you need to meet your every goal and more. Embrace the challenge. The Two of Pentacles also reminds you to be flexible. You too must be supple if you want to prevail. Don't force your way through or you will be cut down. Now is not the time to be rigid. Know that sometimes a side step, or even a back step is the surest way forward.

Encouragement:
    Strength and courage will be applied to all endeavours. There is little to fear with your confidence. Results may be slow in coming, but you will hold your own, get a lot accomplished and summon up enough energy to do what it takes to get the job done, and in some way, you'll be recognised or rewarded for your efforts. There will be altercations stemming from an imagined slight or unexpressed resentment. There are powerful spiritual forces at work and obstacles to your success will be overcome. You will be given the power to succeed.

Chuck

This is very condensed and precise explanation of your situation. Thank you for taking that time for the members to review. Hopefully soon with prayer A professional with"Saving grace" answers will give you the advice needed for you to inturn suggest to your attorneys who have not been of the help that you need. But in the meantime you are getting responses to your thread which is keeping it alive.

I know it is hard b/c you cannot work with expired permit, and not being able to get unemployment most likely. However, did you apply? All they can do is deny.. Worth a shot, Stranger things have happened.. right.

Also, did you ever contact the undercover FBI to speak with him about your situation for suggestions/ etc. at least keep his name and location available for future reference.

Hopefully soon there will be answers, if not have you tried some of the other immigration boards for advice ? and if you do, just keep your question/situation in the precise way that you have done for this thread.

Vaya Con Dios, Chuck