publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Canadian Border crossing....with a US drivers Lic.

Am I correct in believing that if you have a US drivers Lic, then that is all that is required to cross from Canada to the US through a land POE point and visa versa ???

Am I correct in believing that if you have a US drivers Lic, then that is all that is required to cross from Canada to the US through a land POE point and visa versa ???

I think all you need is a photo ID (drivers Liscense) and a Birth Ceritificate or other legal documents stating your status. I have crossed the canada/us border many times with only those documents.. I hope I have been a help...

IF your a USC and coming back to States, you need your original birth certificate with a picture ID or your passport. Just the driving Liscense won't be sufficient.

to GUEST :

That's what the rules and regulations say, but at the border there are signs that also say "be prepared to show your citizenship papers". So it has become extremely confusing. So what else is new, right? I think that if you are truly a U.S. citizen, caucasian and all, then you should be fine with just a U.S. drivers license. But if you are not caucasian and could pass for another nationality, then I would just play safe and bring all documents that prove that you are legally entitled to re-enter the U.S. Just my thoughts

At one point, all you needed was really good English skills. So that when they say "Citizenship?" you can answer "US" with no problems. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but they rarely even asked for a DL before 9-11. Now you do need both your DL and your original birth certificate if you are USC by birth, or DL and citizenship proof if you have emigrated to the USA. My experience has been that as long as you have all the papers ready when you pull up to the window, they rarely ask for them. The one day that you forget, or have to dig for them, that is the day they will ask.