50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Please advise

Greetings. I currently have V-1 status and work authorization both expiring August 2004. My spouse is an LPR who is currently applying for naturalization, hopefully obtaining citizenship sometime late summer 2004. I-130 is still pending at Nebraska Service Center or perhaps at the local district office. In the meantime, I keep getting great job offers in other states (with different service centers). So if I do accept one of these offers, what to expect as far as processing complication? Is it essentially suicidal? Should I simply sit tight and get my LPR status before moving anywhere? What say you wise folks? Much obliged for your feedback.

Greetings. I currently have V-1 status and work authorization both expiring August 2004. My spouse is an LPR who is currently applying for naturalization, hopefully obtaining citizenship sometime late summer 2004. I-130 is still pending at Nebraska Service Center or perhaps at the local district office. In the meantime, I keep getting great job offers in other states (with different service centers). So if I do accept one of these offers, what to expect as far as processing complication? Is it essentially suicidal? Should I simply sit tight and get my LPR status before moving anywhere? What say you wise folks? Much obliged for your feedback.

There is no harm accepting a better job in other locations. You can change your address with the Immigration and ask them to transfer your file to that new jurisdiction. If you are on V-1 here, then your I-130 must have approved long time back and your file will be with National Visa Center. You will have to write them and request for transfer of your file when your Visa will be available.
    Good luck.

Umeshji, my bad as I left out a few details. First of all, I-130 is yet to be approved. Last I heard, it was at the local district office instead of NSC. Why there as opposed to NSC when it was not even approved? Go figure. I did have it transferred earlier when I moved from Florida to Wisconsin.
    Secondly, my spouse is attending graduate school in Wisconsin, hence we had moved. If I am to accept job offer in a different state (with a different service center), I will need to go by myself, as my spouse is yet to complete the studies.
    That's where the uncertainty stands; spouse will apply for naturalization, and if I go to a different state, what happens to my I-130? Does it complicate the process of my permanent residency (I-485 filing) as in all likelihood, my spouse will have a few more years of studies, and we will be apart. What level of immigration complication is involved?

In addition, which state/service center/district office will have jurisdiction on my I-130? My new state or my spouse's state?

Whenever you will change address and request to transfer your file, it will always delay the process by many months. If your spouse is eligible for Naturalization then, she should do it asap. In the meantime, you should check status of I-130 online at www.immigration.gov

If you can find some job where your spouse is going to college that will be better for both of you. Job you can find later also but once a family is separated for any reason it is always painful. When you stay away from you loved ones you can concentrate on any thing.

If your spouse becomes Citizen so you just have to write a letter with copy of Naturalization Certificate to upgrade the petition.
    Good luck.