50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: J-1 visa

I know that a person who has a J visa can't file for an immigrant visa until they complete the 2 year foreign residency requirement or get a waiver, but what if my brother already filed an immigrant visa petition for me? Can I apply for a J? (The visa won't be approved for years, more than enough time for me to do my training and return home for 2 years.)

I know that a person who has a J visa can't file for an immigrant visa until they complete the 2 year foreign residency requirement or get a waiver, but what if my brother already filed an immigrant visa petition for me? Can I apply for a J? (The visa won't be approved for years, more than enough time for me to do my training and return home for 2 years.)

Sure you can apply for the J - the 2 year rule only applies after you complete the J program, depending on what country you are from and what sort of activity you are doing on the J. Not every country is subject to this two year rule and some countries have certain activities that are subject while other kinds of activities are not ( for example, people using the J visa to be a camp counselor or are involved in a summer work program may not be subject to the rule but if they were to have done a medical residency or certain kinds of lab research they would be subject)...check the US embassy's website in the country where you live, go the section on "J's" and see if they have published what things are or are not subject to the 2 year rule.