50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: ITIN- EAD

For those of you who have ITIN and filed EAD, did you put ITIN where SSN is asked for? I know in some you cases you use ITIN if SSN is not available. I used ITIN for DL & Bank account.

For those of you who have ITIN and filed EAD, did you put ITIN where SSN is asked for? I know in some you cases you use ITIN if SSN is not available. I used ITIN for DL & Bank account.

Well, I applied for a new SS card and I, like you, have an ITIN but I skipped that part of the application because ITIN's are issued by the IRS not the SSA, therefore you are consider not to ever have had a social security number before. I hope I helped you my friend.

I don't think you can or should use an ITIN in the place of an SSN. They are very separate things.

You can not and should not use ITIN number where they ask for SS# because both are different and serve different purposes.
    ITIN is just for IRS while you don't have valid SS#. After getting SS#, one should always contact IRS and inform them that he was using ITIN and now has SS# provide them with a SS#, so they can correct their records and inform SSA to upgrade their records about that person regarding working credits etc.
    Good luck.

I wonder what the INS is gonna do about your "no number" if they find out. In the form they ask for any number you have ever used.
    I worked for a company for almost 2 yers and made up a SSN, now I got married to USC,... I think I am in a little bit worse situation and we will need to ask a lawyer about it. Is anyone around?

What you did was wrong but once you marry USC then everything will be forgiven may be with a waiver. Do not provide false SS number to INS and do not use it any more.
    Now, when you get your EAD, get your SS number and provide your SS# to your employer and IRS and ask IRS to update your new SS number in the system.
    Good luck.

I never lied about my ITIN being a SSN. When I applied for renewed DL I showed them my ITIN card and letter a from SS office saying it was OK for me to have new licence. Also bank is well aware it is an ITIN as bank account is joint w/ my USC husband. I have never used ITIN as a SSN to work.