50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Studies abroad & Greencard

I wonder if someone can advise me on these questions. I have a conditional greencard based on marriage. I have been accepted for studies in my home country. Is it going to be possible for me to leave the United States to take my masters in my home country and still keep my greencard? My husband has to stay here but I plan to go back every two months or so to be with him and to stay in the United states during the summers and holidays (It's going to be torture to be away from each other, but we don't see any other option). I heard someone say that there is a limit to the time that you can be abroad when you have a Greencard. Does someone know what the time limit is and I just wonder what "being outside the country" really means. Does it mean the total amount of time in a year that you are outside the United states or does it mean the length of time each time? Do I have to apply for some sort of permission? I would sincerely appreciate some advise on my questions.

Sonja

I wonder if someone can advise me on these questions. I have a conditional greencard based on marriage. I have been accepted for studies in my home country. Is it going to be possible for me to leave the United States to take my masters in my home country and still keep my greencard? My husband has to stay here but I plan to go back every two months or so to be with him and to stay in the United states during the summers and holidays (It's going to be torture to be away from each other, but we don't see any other option). I heard someone say that there is a limit to the time that you can be abroad when you have a Greencard. Does someone know what the time limit is and I just wonder what "being outside the country" really means. Does it mean the total amount of time in a year that you are outside the United states or does it mean the length of time each time? Do I have to apply for some sort of permission? I would sincerely appreciate some advise on my questions.

Sonja

I am not really sure, but I have a friend who temporarily returned to his country of birth and was able to maintain his greencard by returning to the United States every so often. I believe that it should be possible, however, I would recommend that you double check with BCIS (just call them and ask - and then repeat a couple times to be sure of the accuracy of your answer.)

Also, attempt to keep up to date on any changes in legislation that might affect you in the future.

However, for now I think you should be fine, as long as you return every so often!

Good Luck!! I hope it all goes well for you!

Thank you very much for your answer Spouse. What does BCIA stand for?

BCIS. BUREAU OF CITIZENSHIP & IMMIGRATION SERVICES i.e INS(old name)

Thanks Guest.

sorry abou the lack of clarity regarding BCIS aka INS.

Let us know what the final result is of your call.

Thanks and Good Luck!

BUREAUCRATS COMES IN SERVICE
    BCIS = BUGGERS COMPLETELY IN SANE

LOL LOL LOL (much more accurate if you ask my opinion!)