Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get the wife's mother here for a visit

Hello Immigration Buddies!

The wife, who has a US green card, wants her Russian mom to visit the US. A quick scan of the website of the US embassy in Moscow shows that mom has to fill out a form DS-160. Seems pretty straight forward. but, my wife tells me that we need to send her an invitation. Can someone give me the 30,000 foot view of the process to get my wife's Russian mother to the US for a visit?

Hello Immigration Buddies!

The wife, who has a US green card, wants her Russian mom to visit the US. A quick scan of the website of the US embassy in Moscow shows that mom has to fill out a form DS-160. Seems pretty straight forward. but, my wife tells me that we need to send her an invitation. Can someone give me the 30,000 foot view of the process to get my wife's Russian mother to the US for a visit?

Negative. You in-law just needs to explain on the application that she is visiting relatives and you will support her while you are here.

In most cases, it's not necessary, David. It really only helps if they're unable to get a visa on their own merits. For a simple tourist visa, your mother-in-law should be fine without it.

Invitation letters are apparently common for visitors to Russia, so this could be causing confusion for your wife.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Someone12
    your mother in law will have to convince the consular officials that she intends to return to beautiful downtown Russia instead of remaining in the US, living with her daughter (who probably went to the US on a tourist visa and 'forgot' to return, as promised) and NOT engage in ANY employment, including babysitting....period.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Someone12:
    who probably went to the US on a tourist visa and 'forgot' to return, as promised </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know me so much better than I know you :-)

OK, if we can just manage to put aside the personal attacks for a minute , My Russian mother-in-law (MIL) plans to retain the services of someone who will help her complete the visa application. Can someone tell me what happens after a visa application is submitted? I believe this application will be submitted via internet. What I'm thinking is that the person who helps prepare the visa application is going to drop out of the picture once he or she gets her money, and I will want to be able to have some way to track the progress of the visa application. Anyone know how this is done, and what info I need to make sure my Russian MIL gets from the person who prepares the application, to make sure I can track it?

Hi David,

May I ask what credentials the person has who is helping your MIL with her visa application? You need to be careful as there are lots of scams out there. Can't she just apply for a visitor visa? Does she have enough ties back to her homeland that wouldn't make USCIS suspicious that she would try to remain permanently in the US? That's the red flag they will be looking for (not having sufficient ties) to deny her application.

I have no idea about the person who is preparing the application. But supposedly, this person does this sort of thing for a living. However, I do suspect the worst, which is why I asked for someone who is familiar with the process to tell me what I need to get, so I can track the progress of the application. I honestly don't care if the application is approved or denied. I just want to know that the application was submitted.

Take a look at this site.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/t...es/types_1262.html#3

It would seem you could contact the consulate where the visa application was supposedly submitted to obtain updates (or to verify that it was actually submitted).