50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Adjustment of Status

I would really appreciate getting some help. I came here in 1988 on a visitors visa, i overstayed. My brother, who is USC, filed application for me in April 2001. I received a receipt from INS in the end of April 2001 saying that I should hear from them within 180-940 days.

I don't want to be a drag on society, I have two children, one born in my country and the other born here. I pay for my own medical insurance through HIP (it is very expensive), because I am diabetic and have glaucoma. I have never been on welfare and have no intentions of going on it - ever.

I have been filing my taxes for 10 years.

My question here is, should I call the number given on the receipt from INS? Or should I just wait it out?

Is it going to take 10-15 years for me to get GC?
    I would appreciate hearing from Mohan, he or her, seems knowledgeable in the law.

I would really appreciate getting some help. I came here in 1988 on a visitors visa, i overstayed. My brother, who is USC, filed application for me in April 2001. I received a receipt from INS in the end of April 2001 saying that I should hear from them within 180-940 days.

I don't want to be a drag on society, I have two children, one born in my country and the other born here. I pay for my own medical insurance through HIP (it is very expensive), because I am diabetic and have glaucoma. I have never been on welfare and have no intentions of going on it - ever.

I have been filing my taxes for 10 years.

My question here is, should I call the number given on the receipt from INS? Or should I just wait it out?

Is it going to take 10-15 years for me to get GC?
    I would appreciate hearing from Mohan, he or her, seems knowledgeable in the law.

You came on visitor in 1988 and never leave, you will have bar imposed on you to adjust your status.
    I don't know the base of your flling. on what base your brother filed the applications Is it Brother or sister of USc? or Under 245? You have physical present more then 10 years in united states too.
    I need more info what forms was filled etc etc.
    You said you paid taxes for ten years, means you have valid SSN too. you are entittle to get Social security benifits when you retire, no matter where you stay.

With the receipt you can check your status online.

Thank you for replying as you knew your would.

Actually my brother filed them last year when there was this big rush to file before April 2001. I sent a check to INS for $110 that was cashed in April 2001.

I had filed papers before for - "Suspension of Deportation". The "Lawyer" turned out to be a crook, but he did file my papers because I called INS and they gave me my A#.
    Nothing came of that application because immediately after filing the law changed. I submitted it with the requirements being 7yeas living here continuously, good moral character, and hardship to oneself if were to go back to country of citizenship. I fit the bill perfectly then, but the new law said 10years,good moral character, and hardship to citizen child, spouse or parent if were to return to own country of birth. I did not fit that entirely. The 10 years - yes. Godd moral character - Yes. But no child or spouse or parent. That application I guess just fell through the cracks.

Yes, I have a good SS #. A good drivers license too. I did not obtain them from anyone fraudulently. When I came here I had a "indefinate multiple visa". I simply carried it to the SS office and motor vehicle and applied for a card and drivers license. On the application for the license they did not ask for a SS#, it was not mandatory. My card came in the mail some weeks after I applied for it. I've renewed my license 3 times already.

What website can I go to?

If you need anything else, let me know. Thank you very much Mohan.

The suspension of deportation is only allow you to stay its not the AOS if you applied AOS along with the Suspension as you said then Fee was not only $110 check it out.
    You must have the receipt number, You can go to the link and enter receipt number you will get the status of your case. if you don,t have the receipt number then you have to call INS with your A#. Did You have copy of your forms applied? If not then Someone has to apply for FOIA to get the file information which will give the history of your case including the decision if any( If INS send it and you didnot received)
    Here is the link.
    https://egov.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/...s/caseStat.jsp