Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surrendering Green Card/Taxes

Hello all.

I actually just wondered if anyone knows how I go about surrending my green card. I lived in the US from 1986 to July of last year, and moved back to London to take care of my mother. I simply don't want to leave any loose ends. I've tried calling the US Embassy in Grosvenor Street in London, but get the usual array of long computer messages that all embassies seem to know and love so much. I;m also wondering if this effects me when I want to go back on holiday to visit friends.

I also wondered about how I would clear up taxes I left behind (I had to leave in a hurry due to my mother's health deteriorating very suddenly, and so I believe I owe the government around 2000 that I'd like to take care of).

Thanks

Ang.

Hello all.

I actually just wondered if anyone knows how I go about surrending my green card. I lived in the US from 1986 to July of last year, and moved back to London to take care of my mother. I simply don't want to leave any loose ends. I've tried calling the US Embassy in Grosvenor Street in London, but get the usual array of long computer messages that all embassies seem to know and love so much. I;m also wondering if this effects me when I want to go back on holiday to visit friends.

I also wondered about how I would clear up taxes I left behind (I had to leave in a hurry due to my mother's health deteriorating very suddenly, and so I believe I owe the government around 2000 that I'd like to take care of).

Thanks

Ang.

Just throw your card in the bin and dont worry about taxes. nothing is going to happen if you never intend to return to the US

Well, quite, but that would defeat the purpose. I do intend to go back on holidays and visit friends, and we've no idea that those guys at the port of entries type into their computer screen. Probably best not for me to mess with any government.

Hi:

My wife used to live in the USA, when we married and moved to my country, she went to the embassy consular section, filed a form, and returned the green card.
    It was a simple process

Angela, backtaxes ain't gonna stop you, i.e. INS/US CUSTOMS will not be checking with IRS at port of entry.

Tax violations have usually a "statuary limitation" of 3 and 5 yrs. respectively, but laws could be changed and I'm not sure if it would be considered a felony if it concerns aliens (especially former LPR's - legal permanent residents) .

Check with a international financial law expert! Good luck and all the best to your Mother!

Hi,

I have an Indian friend who surrendered his greencard. You can file at the consulate as they said, so you have a clean slate with INS. The Consulate will forward the card to INS.

As for the taxes, IRS has forms that you an fill out for owing back taxes. I suggest you hire an accountant here when you do come to the US for a visit.

As you are abandoning your residency, you are entitled to get refunded for the social security taxes that they took out from your paystub. But the amount is taxable. (This would be good since you owe money from back taxes and you will have some money for these as well). You can file the claim online with the SSS. They have instructions on their website.

Good luck!

Hi Mischa:
    Sounds interesting to get some money back from ANY government.
    Do you know the url for the USA SSS
    Thanks

Well, you can get the refund ONLY if you are abandoning your permanent residency, otherwise, Uncle Sam still gets to keep it.

I was not sure about the Medicaid pay also.