free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: GC and US Citizenship

Hi all,
    First of all Id like to say a big THANK YOU to this forum who has been given me very valuable advice through my years since student visa to GC!
    Now to the questions:
    I have my GC for almost 2 years now and there is a great chance that my company in the US will send me abroad to work in a project for more than one year, possibly up to 2 years. This is a private firm so no government work. The offer is attractive but before I accept it, Id like to clarify the following:
    1. I am in no danger to lose GC or have problems re-entering the country for as long as I come back every 6 months (even if come back for say 2 weeks).
    2. When applying for citizenship, since I will not be abroad for more than 6 months at a time (Ill likely be just shy of 6 months for each trip), I will not break my continuous residence required for citizenship. In other words, I have now about 15 months of physical presence in the US (after GC) and if I accept this offer, in the next say 2 years Ill be 5.5 moths abroad, then 2 weeks in the US, then again 5.5 months abroad and so on. I might have to wait another year to make up the 30 months required.

Thanks a lot, I trust this forum more than the immigration lawyers I had in the past!

Stephany

Hi all,
    First of all Id like to say a big THANK YOU to this forum who has been given me very valuable advice through my years since student visa to GC!
    Now to the questions:
    I have my GC for almost 2 years now and there is a great chance that my company in the US will send me abroad to work in a project for more than one year, possibly up to 2 years. This is a private firm so no government work. The offer is attractive but before I accept it, Id like to clarify the following:
    1. I am in no danger to lose GC or have problems re-entering the country for as long as I come back every 6 months (even if come back for say 2 weeks).
    2. When applying for citizenship, since I will not be abroad for more than 6 months at a time (Ill likely be just shy of 6 months for each trip), I will not break my continuous residence required for citizenship. In other words, I have now about 15 months of physical presence in the US (after GC) and if I accept this offer, in the next say 2 years Ill be 5.5 moths abroad, then 2 weeks in the US, then again 5.5 months abroad and so on. I might have to wait another year to make up the 30 months required.

Thanks a lot, I trust this forum more than the immigration lawyers I had in the past!

Stephany

Hi Stephy,

Welcome. You will need to prove that you still have ties with the US such as residence, bank accounts and such. As long as you can prove that you are established in the US and working abroad, you should be okay. Just be sure you don't go over the 6 month rule. Good luck!

And be sure to file for a re-entry permit too (I-131). Those are good for up to 2yrs.

You can stay outside the US without a re-entry permit for up to 1yr but after 6 months outside, the CBP (Port of Entry guys) can review your GC status so as Proud says, this is known as the "6 month rule". Be careful about returning for 2 weeks just to "renew" the GC status...it doesn't. It's one of those famous myths.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

You need to get a Re-entry permit, that will protect your status for two years. It can be renewed, but not indefninately.

Thanks all for the reply.
    Am I trying too much to also keep the continuity for naturalization while being in and out the country for 2 years? If I apply for re-entry permit for 2 years and still come back every 5.5 months, will the clock for citizenship be reset?
    Thanks!!