free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting married...

My Canadian girlfriend has spent allot of time with me here in the states and recently was recently was refused entry here for a period of time because of that fact. My problem is that we had planed to go on vacation to the Caribbean this time around and I was going to pop the question...Now I have my diamond...my flowers...but I have no girlfriend!!!!!!My question is what's faster...getting engaged and bringing her here to get married, which I would rather do, or going to Canada and getting married and then bringing her home? FYI..I am a USC by birth and am financially able support us both...Thanks for your help...

My Canadian girlfriend has spent allot of time with me here in the states and recently was recently was refused entry here for a period of time because of that fact. My problem is that we had planed to go on vacation to the Caribbean this time around and I was going to pop the question...Now I have my diamond...my flowers...but I have no girlfriend!!!!!!My question is what's faster...getting engaged and bringing her here to get married, which I would rather do, or going to Canada and getting married and then bringing her home? FYI..I am a USC by birth and am financially able support us both...Thanks for your help...

In my personal experience, it is better for you to come to Canada to married her then file the petition from the US, so that you don't need to worry about violate the US immigration laws in the US. By the way, if you do love her, Canada is not far, you can visit her all the time during the processing Period. GOOd luck

Hey, you are lucky! My love is 120,000 miles away!!!

I have no problem visiting her...it's just tooooo cold! :-)

How long can I expect to wait either way?

FullofLove...

How long did you have to wait after you were married?

Hey resxmm you going for the big question hey?!

So has she applied for entry to the US again after the denial?

Options - You file for a I-129F for your fiance. This take about 3-4 months (maybe 6 max) During this time she is not allowed in the US, cause it would be seen as dual intent. After approval of fiance, she enters the US and you would have to get married in 90 days of her entry into the US. Id say that this is a better option than you going to Canada and getting married there and then trying to apply for her to enter the US as a spouse.

What do you think?

Ok so here is info if you decide to get married in Canada and then get your wife into the states -
    She would then have to apply for a K-3 visa. The K-3 allows the spouse of a US citizen a non immigrant visa to enter the US, and then apply for immigrant status while in the US.

Process - You would have to file a i-130 (petition for alien relative) on her behalf, before applying for the k-3. (it is a requirement for the k-3 app)

A I-693 (medical examination) has to be completed when she appears at the consulate to apply for k-3 visa.

Resxmm - I hope this help and that this is correct, anybody to comment?

Either way I would advise that you get a lawyer to assist you with it all.

SyncSA

Thanks for the info...yep. They wouldn't let her in...so...I'm headed up there to to ask her if she'll have me...not too romantic in the snow though.

If we decide to marry first...(based upon a yes answer from her)...do you have a guess as to how long we would have to wait before she can come into the US?

Thanks again!

My sister was married to a foreign national in his home country and it only took him 3 months to wait for his visa. This happened in 2000 though, I'm not sure what's going on today because I heard there are so many changes within the agency.