50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: my clock is stopped!!!

I apply for asylum on june 2003. I had the interview last september and waited 5 weeks for the answer. Big surprise!, on Oct 22nd I received a letter stated that I should appear b4 the judge on oct 21st, the enveloppe was stamped oct 20th. I had to file a motion to reopen to get a new hearing date. I get one on Dec 2nd. The judge scheduled the master hearing for August 2004. BUT IN THE MEANTIME MY CLOCK IS PERMANENTLY STOPPED AT 124 DAYS. I asked the judge about it on dec 2nd and she said it wasn't on her power to get it run again. I am in total disbelief, I don't know what to do. Anybody help please!

I apply for asylum on june 2003. I had the interview last september and waited 5 weeks for the answer. Big surprise!, on Oct 22nd I received a letter stated that I should appear b4 the judge on oct 21st, the enveloppe was stamped oct 20th. I had to file a motion to reopen to get a new hearing date. I get one on Dec 2nd. The judge scheduled the master hearing for August 2004. BUT IN THE MEANTIME MY CLOCK IS PERMANENTLY STOPPED AT 124 DAYS. I asked the judge about it on dec 2nd and she said it wasn't on her power to get it run again. I am in total disbelief, I don't know what to do. Anybody help please!

okay

[This message was edited by Danny on December 28, 2003 at 03:19 PM.]

Thanks for answering. I had to file a motion to reopen because the IJ made her decision after I "failed" to appear at the hearing for the sim ple reason that i received the notice a day after the scheduled date. I was scheduled to appear on Oct 21th, i received the letter on Oct 22nd. The enveloppe was stamped on Oct 20!
    I received on Oct 24 a letter from the IJ about her decision and was adviced to file a motion to reopen.

If the DHS / IJ think that your case has been denied (fail to appear is also one of the reason) then the word the clock permanently stopped will be attached to your case until the IJ decided otherwise. If you ask/or given a continuance your clock also will be stopped also. But only not permanently if you havent been denied before. Continuance does make your clock stop too.

thanks Danny for your time. What does the word "continuance" mean? does it mean that my case is reopen? if so, then the clock should run also. It's not my fault if i didn't appear...and the IJ based her decision on that fact: i failed to appear because i received the notice lately. Had I appeared on Oct 21st, I wouldn't have had this problem i guess. I need to get the clock running. Should i write to the judge or go see her in person? what do u think i should do?

Sorry for getting back so late, I had to work.
    Continuance means that IJ is giving you another master hearing, since you are not ready or you haven't found a lawyer representing your case. Once you get an individual hearing, then the IJ will decide. But I dont know your case status now. Is it in Removal proceeding? Do you have an attorney yet?

Hi Danny'

Sorry, I was out the town. I think i am on removal proceeding. I have a lawyer, unfortunately i think he has a lot of cases going on so he doesn't really have time to take care of mine. The IJ gave me a date for my master hearing which is August 13,2004. In the meantime my clock is stopped at 124 days. it was stopped because i didn't show up at the first appointement with the IJ because i received the notice to appear a day after. So it wasn't my fault if i didn't appear therefore my clock was wrongfully stopped and i received a notice for removal proceeding. I took a lawyer who filed a motion to reopen. I had another appointement on Dec 2nd, 03. That's when the IJ gave me August 13 as a master hearing date. I ask the lawyer to ask the IJ about my clock and she said that wasn't on her power but the clerk ,who was assisting the IJ in the room, told my lawyer to get back to him in a month and he'll see what he can do. It's been more than a month, i called my lawyer and he said there is nothing he can do and that i have to wait. The problem is I can't wait till august 13 to apply for the working permit. Im confused and in disbelief. I don't know who can do what and don't know myself what to do.

amcis101, what do u mean ur clock was stopped? I don't know alot about how imigration works but i think they should relook at ur case. Ive been hear for almost 11 yrs. I'm in the dark about alot of things. Imigration know's i here but nothing's beeing done. I hope all goes well for u ~tasha