Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I need more help on this Umesh

nanda01
    posted May 06, 2003 10:26 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    question on citizenship eligibility

I got my green card in August 1992, and I lived in US till september 1993 and then returned back to my country to get married. I actually stayed out of US for 2 yrs and then reenturned on reentry permit in 1996. I stayed for a month and then back again to my country. Then I again got reentry permit for 2 yrs and entered US in 1998, stayed for a month and returned. During 1999, 2000 I came within a year to maintain my green card. Finally I decided to settle down in June 2001. Since then I have been continuously residing in US. In dec 2003 it will be 2.5 years of continuous residency out of 10 yrs. Can anybody tell me when can I apply for citizenship?
    Umesh can you help me here please?

REDWOMAN
    posted May 06, 2003 09:58 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Umesh Passi
    posted May 06, 2003 11:15 PM
    To Nanda01 :
    According to guidelines given hereafter, you are not yet eligible for Naturalization. You will have to wait for another one year before you will be eligible for Naturalization.

If a lawful permanent resident and wish to remain outside the United States for more than one year, but less than two, you require a reentry permit. You should note that an absence of more than one year will break the period of continuous residence required to become a citizen, even if a reentry permit is issued. A reentry permit is valid for two years and may not be extended.
    A Reentry Permit does not preserve residence for naturalization purposes. Form N-470 (Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes) must be filed with INS prior to departure from the United States. This form is for lawful permanent residents who must leave the United States for certain employment purposes and wish to preserve their immigrant status in order to pursue naturalization.

nanda01
    posted May 07, 2003 10:05 AM
    Thanks Umesh for your response. But I am still confused. Let me give you more details, so its easier for you to figure out.
    1999 to 2003 would be 5 yrs correct? (Acc. to the 60 month formula)
    I entered US in june 1999 (stayed for a month went back)
    Entered again in June 2000 (stayed for 2 months, went back)
    Entered in June 2001 again (have stayed continuously since then)
    So do you mean to say that I should apply for
    citizenship in june 2004 or dec 2004? Sorry for bothering you.

nanda01
    posted May 07, 2003 10:14 AM

nanda01
    posted May 06, 2003 10:26 AM
    question on citizenship eligibility

I got my green card in August 1992, and I lived in US till september 1993 and then returned back to my country to get married. I actually stayed out of US for 2 yrs and then reenturned on reentry permit in 1996. I stayed for a month and then back again to my country. Then I again got reentry permit for 2 yrs and entered US in 1998, stayed for a month and returned. During 1999, 2000 I came within a year to maintain my green card. Finally I decided to settle down in June 2001. Since then I have been continuously residing in US. In dec 2003 it will be 2.5 years of continuous residency out of 10 yrs. Can anybody tell me when can I apply for citizenship?
    Umesh can you help me here please?

REDWOMAN
    posted May 06, 2003 09:58 PM

Umesh Passi
    posted May 06, 2003 11:15 PM
    To Nanda01 :
    According to guidelines given hereafter, you are not yet eligible for Naturalization. You will have to wait for another one year before you will be eligible for Naturalization.

If a lawful permanent resident and wish to remain outside the United States for more than one year, but less than two, you require a reentry permit. You should note that an absence of more than one year will break the period of continuous residence required to become a citizen, even if a reentry permit is issued. A reentry permit is valid for two years and may not be extended.
    A Reentry Permit does not preserve residence for naturalization purposes. Form N-470 (Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes) must be filed with INS prior to departure from the United States. This form is for lawful permanent residents who must leave the United States for certain employment purposes and wish to preserve their immigrant status in order to pursue naturalization.

nanda01
    posted May 07, 2003 10:05 AM
    Thanks Umesh for your response. But I am still confused. Let me give you more details, so its easier for you to figure out.
    1999 to 2003 would be 5 yrs correct? (Acc. to the 60 month formula)
    I entered US in june 1999 (stayed for a month went back)
    Entered again in June 2000 (stayed for 2 months, went back)
    Entered in June 2001 again (have stayed continuously since then)
    So do you mean to say that I should apply for
    citizenship in june 2004 or dec 2004? Sorry for bothering you.

nanda01
    posted May 07, 2003 10:14 AM