publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: EAD - working with expired one????

My wife recieved her EAD in November 1, 2002. By the time we got the lawyer to apply for her renewal it was the last week of August. We are in New York City and the last time it took INS 90 days to issue EAD only after we went down to the office.

If my wife's EAD expires before we get the renewal, will she be able to continue to work? What would happen is she continued working with an expired EAD until she gets her new one?

Thanks for any help,
    NYC

My wife recieved her EAD in November 1, 2002. By the time we got the lawyer to apply for her renewal it was the last week of August. We are in New York City and the last time it took INS 90 days to issue EAD only after we went down to the office.

If my wife's EAD expires before we get the renewal, will she be able to continue to work? What would happen is she continued working with an expired EAD until she gets her new one?

Thanks for any help,
    NYC

If she works while it is expired, then she will be deemed to have worked without the proper authorization from the BCIS. If it has been more than 90 days since you filed the renewal, you can ask the district office for an exercise of discretion in issuing a temporary card.

info@myronmorales.com

I had a similar problem while my adjustment of status was pending. I'm not sure what the consequences are if she continues to work but I know that my employer told that I would have to stop working if I didn't receive my EAD before my original one expired because they could potentially get in trouble. It was ironic because I went thru the hassle of going down to my local office and all the **** that goes with it to extend my EAD only to find out that my adjustment of status interview was 3 weeks later. I did ask my employer if I can just wait the extra 3 weeks for my interview after which I wouldn't of needed the EAD but they said I had to be legal with no exceptions to carrying on working. I ended up paying the full fee for a new EAD that I needed for 3 weeks.....did the INS give me a refund......yeah right!!!!!

mmorales: temporary EAD card? I went to the INS Tampa and they told me there is no such thing. I have to wait for my next EAD card.

How often are EADs renewed? If status is lost, can one work, regardless? Esp., with a drivers licence for i.d.? Thanks

I just found answer to my question. Thanks...

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will have to take another trip down personally :-( to see if they could give it within 60 days of applying.