50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: H1 Cap almost reached

I got this from an online news section, and wanted to know if anybody knows whether its true or not -

"The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that this year's cap of 65,000 H-1B guest-worker visas is nearly two-thirds taken within the first quarter of the fiscal year, which began on October 1, 2003. Some 43,500 visas have either been approved or are ''pending in the queue for adjudication.''

This means that U.S embassies and consulates across the world will not be able to issue H-1B visas after February or March, by which time the full quota would have been reached, till the new fiscal year 2005 begins in October 2004"

If anybody knows, PLEASE RESPOND. Thanks. And what does "pending in the queue for adjudication" mean? That they would be approved this cycle itself?

I got this from an online news section, and wanted to know if anybody knows whether its true or not -

"The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced that this year's cap of 65,000 H-1B guest-worker visas is nearly two-thirds taken within the first quarter of the fiscal year, which began on October 1, 2003. Some 43,500 visas have either been approved or are ''pending in the queue for adjudication.''

This means that U.S embassies and consulates across the world will not be able to issue H-1B visas after February or March, by which time the full quota would have been reached, till the new fiscal year 2005 begins in October 2004"

If anybody knows, PLEASE RESPOND. Thanks. And what does "pending in the queue for adjudication" mean? That they would be approved this cycle itself?

That info comes from USCIS themselves, so I'll say it better be pretty dang accurate.
    I'm not sure what the "pending" status meant, I know some applications thats already being processed but can't be approved since the quota is already met, is automatically rolled over to the next fiscal year. Could this be it as well?

Haha, no what i meant was whether the news reporter is indeed quoting USCIS correctly - has USCIS actually made such an announcement?

The approved and those in adjudication total upto 45,000. So adjudication must mean something else. Don't know what though. The dictionary meaning of adjudication is "a judicial decision " So probably those are maybe still waiting to know their fate - approved or not. Its just my guess though.

Well, I've seen it in both Murthy and Oh's website, so I would say its pretty accurate. AILA hasn't mentioned it though, surprisingly.

Yeah, my guess is the same with yours. Meaning they only have about 20K left for the last 2-3 months. IIRC, weren't you trying to apply for it? How does that go?

I gave the company two options -
    1. Do H1 premium immediately. This is my preferred option because of the CAP.
    2. Alternatively, I wait for my OPT, and the day I join, start for premium processing.

The company said that they are not comfortable processing H1 unless I am on board, and also they have other employees that have OPT running out and need first attention + other employees whose H1 is to be renewed. So they would like to go for the second alternative. My question is - is it true that companies have a certain quota of employees that they can get work authorization for every year? Can they not exceed it?

Problem is - INS recd my OPT application on 25NOV - and they are still processing applications recd by Nov 17th. So I will wait till Feb 23rd and then go to the local INS to get the OPT after 90 days. I was in a hurry to get the H1 so that I could get my husband on H4, he's in Singapore, and I don't want him to visit me on a tourist visa. If this doesn't work, his H4 will be delayed till after Oct. I don't know if his company will work eith him and get him to come visit me on a business visa. This is just too bad - we got married this OCT and I was able to spend only 2 weeks with him post marrige. I tried looking for a job in Singapore - but things didn't work out there - so I came back and applied for an OPT and fixed a job.

In FY2002, a total of 79,100 cap cases was filed. This was a significant decrease from the prior year and is below the current FY2003 levels. However, even with the lower numbers, the demand exceeded the number of H1B cap cases that will be available for FY2004. In FY2002, there were 60,500 cases approved in the first three quarters (ending June 30, 2002) and 18,000 cap cases pending. Thus, the filings would again indicate that the numbers will run out before June 2004.

I think there's a percentage based on the total number of employee, on how many H1-B worker a company can hire, not sure exactly what is the percentage though.

The problem with premium processing is it doesn't guarantee you will beat the deadline, so company has to decide whether its money well spent. Personally, I think you'll make it with premium processing (provided it started immediately).

Singapore is a nice place, very clean and very orderly. Unfortunately, its very very very small also

Hey there Marmaduk!!! Seems like you've been to S'pore. I really like the country, its very dynamic (ofcourse, I haven't been to NY), and I esp. like the cantonese food. Although, I would like it better if I could find a good job. Singapore it seems outsources (except IT, MBA's and Bankers) to Malasia and Indonesia, including my jobs!!!!

Regarding premium, I thought that USCIS accepts premium processing applications only if it can do them. I downloaded the appli some time back, and it says that iff I haven't recd. a decision on the H1 within 15 days of application, they will refund the money!! My company is very stuck on starting premium only after I start i.e. get my OPT, so I will keep my fingers crossed, and see if I can beat all those 20k appli before March!!!

Actually I need to beat only one appli out of 20k .