free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditional Permanent Resident and Student Loans

When I get my conditional permanent resident card, will it say conditional on it?

Also, will I be eligible for Student Loans to go to school with the conditional resident card?

Cathy

PS Thank all of you who give such wonderful advice on this board!

When I get my conditional permanent resident card, will it say conditional on it?

Also, will I be eligible for Student Loans to go to school with the conditional resident card?

Cathy

PS Thank all of you who give such wonderful advice on this board!

I was wondering the same thing for a while now, I got an answer on another board about this, I think it doesn't say conditional on it, the only difference between a real GC and conditional GC should be the expiration date... Again, I am relying on the poster who replied my similar question...

You should be able to go school, I mean for example if there are conditional permanent residents in several branches of US Armed Forces, why shouldn't you simply go to a school ?

Good Luck...

Here I found the reply of the conditional greencard holder...

"Bizarrely, It's a Green Card.....but seriously folks it's a standard I-551 (which is a barely green credit card sized piece of plastic). In of itself it's not conditional. The expiry date is two years from the date I set foot in the US as I entered with an immigrant visa so I was adjusted on arrival. The conditional bit is that I must be still married to my wife at the time it expires or I don't get one that's valid for 10 years. It arrived by post about 8 weeks after I got here. You get a stamp in your passport to prove your status up until the GC arrives. The stamp is valid for one year.
    Good Luck "

Hope it helps...

Again Good Luck...

Thanks guys,

Has anyone on this board had a Conditional Green Card and applied for student loans? (or know someone who did)

Cathy

The only difference between a conditional green card and the permanant is just the lenght of validity technically.If you check the department of Education site,you'll learn that to be eligible for federal student loans,you have to be permanent resident of the US and be enrolled in the selective service(which should be done automatically by the INS if you are a male under 25).
    So yes you are eligible for federal student loan if you have a conditional green card providing you qualify.After all a conditional GC is just a GC with a validity of 2 years instead of 10

Exactly! There is NO difference between a conditional GC and a 'permenant one' other than the expiry date. 2 yrs vs. 10 yrs.

I am a conditional gc holder and I have a federal student loan. You have to go to the school that you are going to study and ask for information, they are going to help you through the process of filling your fafsa.

Its true the only differance is Validity 2-10 yrs . sometime INS call the couple for Interview within two years, too. I know many cases.
    you can still get any kind of loans if qualify.

Yes Cathy, as a Conditional Permanent Resident you are eligible to apply for federal student loans. In general one is eligible for federal student loans if s/he is:

--> U.S. Citizen
    -->U.S. permanent resident who has a I-151, I-551,or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card).
    -->"Special" Categories For Students
    If you are not a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible:
    a) "Refugee"
    b) "Asylum Granted"
    c) "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole"
    d) "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"
    e) "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

--> International Students
    There is no State or Federal financial aid available to international undergraduates. F-1 visas allow very limited opportunities with the University for students to work.

Students holding J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa or F1 or F2 student visa are NOT eligible for Federal or State aid but may still be considered for departmental awards and alternative loans.