50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I need Expert Advice about I-485 this is vpatel

My Fiance has made it to the USA. We have applided for a marriage licence and also have done a state court marriage. Now I have an Indian tradition Marriage in a couple of weeks. Now since Indian marriages are different from court marriages I needed some help. See after an Indian marriage the girl who gets married; her Middle name which was given to her at birth; which was her fathers First name is changed to her new husbands first name. So for Exmaple if Bob James Smith is marrying Lisa Ray Jones. After an Indian Marriage Lisa new name would be Lisa Bob Smith. So I need to know that in my marriage certificate when me and my fiance had to apply she had to list her name down on the form that was given to her on her passport. So my questions is that since me and her are now married in state court. I want her to start using my first name as her middle Initials instead of her old middle Initinals which is her fathers. Now her passport has her old middle initinals since we were not married at the time of her arrival. Now when I go to file the I-485 I want to know should I use the new married name in the I-485 form or use the same name that is in her passport. I can get the passport name changed done but I am worried that they might give her a new poassport. Also if they give her a new passport then the immigration people will ask her durning the time of the interview were is the passport with the I-29F Visa stamp. So I need to know Shoudl I use the new married name in fileing my wifes I-485 and also should I type a documents saying that based on indian tradition that the girls has to change her middle name to her husbands first name. Woudl this work? I just do not want the BCIS people to think I am doing something wrong. Please some one reply ASAP.
    Thanks,
    Vpatel

My Fiance has made it to the USA. We have applided for a marriage licence and also have done a state court marriage. Now I have an Indian tradition Marriage in a couple of weeks. Now since Indian marriages are different from court marriages I needed some help. See after an Indian marriage the girl who gets married; her Middle name which was given to her at birth; which was her fathers First name is changed to her new husbands first name. So for Exmaple if Bob James Smith is marrying Lisa Ray Jones. After an Indian Marriage Lisa new name would be Lisa Bob Smith. So I need to know that in my marriage certificate when me and my fiance had to apply she had to list her name down on the form that was given to her on her passport. So my questions is that since me and her are now married in state court. I want her to start using my first name as her middle Initials instead of her old middle Initinals which is her fathers. Now her passport has her old middle initinals since we were not married at the time of her arrival. Now when I go to file the I-485 I want to know should I use the new married name in the I-485 form or use the same name that is in her passport. I can get the passport name changed done but I am worried that they might give her a new poassport. Also if they give her a new passport then the immigration people will ask her durning the time of the interview were is the passport with the I-29F Visa stamp. So I need to know Shoudl I use the new married name in fileing my wifes I-485 and also should I type a documents saying that based on indian tradition that the girls has to change her middle name to her husbands first name. Woudl this work? I just do not want the BCIS people to think I am doing something wrong. Please some one reply ASAP.
    Thanks,
    Vpatel

Mr VPatel,
    I am no expert only what life and experience bring forth. If my post be of any help :

1)first things first what name reads on application for licence and at the court marriage certificate. You would want to go with the same name at certificate issued by religious priest/whoever performs marriage for consistency sake.
    The name change as of culture could be done any time later over the spouses life time to make things easier at present.

2) If due to family and society pressure/requirent to do at/after wedding your following concerns are addressed:-
    a)when AOS is filed After first middle and last name their is a space to fill under any or all other names known with ----You could write your spouse's new changed name with your added name in middle there. that way The consistency is also maitained and your wife gets your name and BCIS now USCIS also gets informed of names before and after marriage.
    b)your concern of new pasport not having visa stamp : When a new passport is issued in your country the old is attached to it kindof stapled together(they don't take it back or destroy it)
    c)another way of going around not getting a new passport and yet have it indicate the change in her marital status is applying and getting a stamp on her current passport which states your name ----- is ammended/added on her passport page 36. It takes only a couple of hours and very little fees depending on the work load of theoffice you apply to.

Whatever you & ur spouse decides Please accept my heartiest congratulations on her arrival and Blessings to You both on your wedding.
    Have fun and keep her happy and with respect and love.

Just a comment from a woman who lives in the 21st century... you talk about what you want your wife's name to be, but have you asked her?

[This message was edited by NYCImmParalegal on January 23, 2004 at 03:25 PM.]

Hi vpatel ...

There is column of name before marriage and if it changed after marriage ... so just write accordingly ... no big deal ... congrats ... Pasha

Hey Pasha,
    I looked at the I-485 Form I do not see a space like u said for adding another name also used. I know there is space like this on the G-325A form, which I also have to fill out.
    Vpatel
    P.S. Any one else who can give advice please do
    Thanks.

Hi vpatel...

The one I used for DCF there was a column...but what I think here is you can use changed name after marriage and write the previous name before marriage in part 3 of that form as it states exact name on I-94 .... And I would make an affidavit of changed name and attached it with original application and send along with marriage certificate....Good luck...Pasha