free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Criminal background

Can someone with a criminal background in their home country still be approved for a green card. I know someone who had 2 charges in their home country. One was for cheque fraud 10 years ago but the charges were dropped and the other was for issuing a letter to the US embassy in their home country stating that the person was employed in their company which was not true this was also dropped. The person had a 10 year visitor visa which they travelled on regularly and never overstayed. The visa has since expired.

Will this person be able to apply for another visitors visa? Or will they be able to get a green card if their sibling is willing to apply for them? Some advice please.

Can someone with a criminal background in their home country still be approved for a green card. I know someone who had 2 charges in their home country. One was for cheque fraud 10 years ago but the charges were dropped and the other was for issuing a letter to the US embassy in their home country stating that the person was employed in their company which was not true this was also dropped. The person had a 10 year visitor visa which they travelled on regularly and never overstayed. The visa has since expired.

Will this person be able to apply for another visitors visa? Or will they be able to get a green card if their sibling is willing to apply for them? Some advice please.

Are these records still visible anywhere? I mean if the charges where dropped, there shouldn't be anything left of the charge. Why where they dropped? If charges are dropped, that means that you are not guilty of anything - I think. Plus it should have been erased from any records.

If immigration doesn't know of these charges, and if according to your home country's laws, you are not guilty of anything I would not let immigration know as this would only open a can a worms.
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Isn't the charge that involves the US embassy going to be in immigration system anyway?

Hi Curious,

If the charges were dropped, that shouldn't be too much of a concern. What country is the person from and is the sibling a USC?

The person is from Trinidad and the sibling is a USC.

I think the USC sibling should start the process. What can it hurt? If the charges were dropped, there should be no worries. It might take a while, but better to get the process started sooner than later, right? Good luck to your friend!

But do u think the person can re-apply for the tourist visa? especially sice one of the charges involved the US embassy in their home country.

Why a tourist visa? If a USC is sponsoring, they person sponsored is not a tourist/visitor. So you would apply for permanent residence not tourist status. As far as I am informed - people that apply for visitor status don't need sponsorship.

I am questioning your intend here - why would anyone hold a 10 year visitor visa? What visa was this. Visitor visa's are usually only 3-6 months.
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

I just thought they could apply for a tourist visa in the meantime so that they can visit seeing that the process takes so long when a sibling is filing. Is that possible?